Did you mean: 

Need help with settings with a sx170 for photographing northern lights please

Janus20
Apprentice

4 REPLIES 4

cicopo
Elite

see

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/PowerShot/Settings-for-Northern-Lights/m-p/131243#U131243

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Janus20
Apprentice
Thank you but my camera has different settings to this one.
Unfortunately this skill cannot be acquired in 4 days which is all I have till I go on my surprise birthday trip and naturally I want the best possible photos I can get with my new camera also bought for me.

All the settings that cicopo mentioned are available in the Manual Modes (M, Av, Tv) of the camera. It sounds like you may not be comfortable with manual modes, so I would use the special scene modes and try the Fireworks scene. This choice will use a fairly long shutter speed, so you will need to use a tripod for best results. If the photo is too dark, press the +/- button and adjust the setting to a higher + number. If it's too light, press the +/- button and adjust the setting to a lower - number. This is called exposure compensation, and goes a long way to getting more from the camera than Auto Modes.  Please don't expect the kind of results that a much higher end camera will get as the sensors are very small in the SX170, and the lens is not very fast. I can get fairly decent shots with mine, but the best results are in better lighting condtions. These are very capable cameras for the price, and with practice you should be able to get some really nice shots. Have fun on your trip.

Steve M.

Thank you so much Steve, brilliant advice and I underdtood it lol. Didn't even know there was a firework scene.
Again many thanks.
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements