cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help setting up my Canon G5X

Vanon66
Enthusiast

Hello Everyone!

I received my new Canon G5X a couple of days ago and am in the process of setting it up.  I have worked through most of the things, but am having trouble setting up the custom colors.  I set up my camera on the Manual mode, but when I go to the selection for custom colors it is not showing it highlighted so it won't let me pick it to change things.

Any hope would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dennis

10 REPLIES 10

John_
Authority

Hi Vanon which setting/adjustment are you referring too, Color Adjustment or My Colors? Color adjustment is not available in Manual mode but My Colors are

Hi John.

Thank you so much for your quick response.  

As I said, I just got this camera and have spent hours trying to get the basic things sent up.  I am not a 'newby' to the digital photo world and I shoot with a Canon t5i which I also use a custom profile where I turn the sharpness, contrast, and saturation down to provide a more flat image that I can boost in post.  

However, I just can't seem to get this one set up.  I am trying to get into the "My Colors" screen to change these settings, but they do not appear as an option when I go to that screen while in Manual mode.  

I need just the opposite both in my T5i and my G5x.  Every single outdoor picture comes out with low contrast, excessive hilites, low saturation.  I have to adjust every single frame on my PC to reduce the glare, up the contrast, which usually helps with the saturation, and sometimes increase the saturation.  Don't quite get how to do this effectively in either camera.  On the G5x there is a VIVID thing you can do which helps a little but not enough.  

I look at so many great shots in photo magazines, but can only get shots that approach this with futzing around after the shot.

Any help greatly appreciated.

@rondtroy wrote:

I need just the opposite both in my T5i and my G5x.  Every single outdoor picture comes out with low contrast, excessive hilites, low saturation.  I have to adjust every single frame on my PC to reduce the glare, up the contrast, which usually helps with the saturation, and sometimes increase the saturation.  Don't quite get how to do this effectively in either camera.  On the G5x there is a VIVID thing you can do which helps a little but not enough.  

I look at so many great shots in photo magazines, but can only get shots that approach this with futzing around after the shot.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Try resetting the camera back to factory defaults.  You may have to switch to Manual shooting mode to see it in the menus.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

What do you consider manual? Anything but A?

Hello again John.

I think I figured it out.  You cannot shoot in RAW and use "My Colors."  I assumed that, like my Canon t5i, you could shoot in RAW and make those kinds of adustments, but it appears that in this camera you either just shoot in RAW and adjust everything in post or shoot in JPEG.  Unless, you set the mode dial to C and make custom settings there...I wonder...

ahhh ok I thought you were shooting in manual mode and yes raw does not allow it.

Capture2.JPG

I knew it was hidden in the "fine print" somewhere.  LOL  I was just looking for it topically and when that didn't work, I broke things down practically using the camera and that is when I discovered it.  

Thanks again for your help!

Announcements