cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need expert help using the XS50hs

au5599
Contributor

First let me start by saying this is an absolutely amazing camera. So for most peoples needs this would be great.

Now onto my delemia.

I have been using the Powershot A650is for several years for my daughters National all star cheerleading. The camera is set up ISO3200 and continuous. This results in about 400-450 pictures in a 2 1/2-3 minute time.

I needed something with a better zoom so I got a XS50hs. I didnt have the time to play with it before we were at a competition. I just checked that it had ISO3200 and did continuous without stopping.

This camera only takes half the pics the 650 does. Zoomed in or out. The picture size is set to the same as on the 650 which I believe was M.

What else do I need to try to get it to pickup more pictures in continuous? Also only other thing I noticed is a good delay before you can zoom in or out after you stop shooting. Is there anything for this?

I like the camera overall alot but there was alot of shots missed. I know most people wouldnt understand how quickly the scene changes in a second.

8 REPLIES 8

cicopo
Elite

I haven't used any of those cameras but according to the specs your A60IS shoots 1.2 FPS while the SX50 can shoot up to 10 FPS. That's going to fill the buffer very quickly so you'd best be using the fastest memory cards available. Also the freeze up may be that while it's writing to the card it can't do other things like zoom.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/A650IS/A650ISDAT.HTM

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/canon-sx50hs/canon-sx50hsDAT.HTM

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thats what I havent figured out is the 650 is said to only be 1.2fps, but I kid you not, I sat here with both side by side same settings and did continuous for 10 seconds and the SX50 had half the pictures. I have a regularSDHC 4 card for the 650 and a lexar platinum II SDHC 10 card for the SX50. I am seriously baffled by the difference in time.

One thing known to really slow down the FPS rate is high ISO noise reduction or noise reduction settings in general.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Both are set to ISO3200. Its the only setting I have found that works indoors, varioys lighting and distances while taking pictures that are mid air without being blurry.
With the 650 I had tried every setting just to see. I am always willing to try suggestions.

Setting of the ISO is only 1 setting so what do you mean by BOTH?

Both cameras the 650 and the sx50

ScottyP
Authority
It sounds like the new camera might be hunting for focus. Do you have it set for a single active autofocus point? it would focus and shoot faster if you have all the autofocus points active.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

au5599
Contributor

I tried every setting for the Auto focus and noting changed. I ended up taking it back since it didnt do what I needed. Sucks because I liked it overall.
Thanks for the help though.

Announcements