cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My photos using my SX500IS seem to be out of focus on most pictures.

jjones
Apprentice

I use "AUTO" when taking photos.  Most seem to be out of focus.  Am I doing something wrong.

I have always been a fan of Canon. Hope I  can fix, as I am disappointed in results.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks for the replys and advice.  I was aware of the "pre focusing" before taking the shot, but as others have noted, practice makes perfect.  I will continue to try to impove. My wife bought me this camera as a gift and was impressed with the picture quality before the purchace; now I will strive to get the same results.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

cicopo
Elite

Try Program mode, learn Exposure Compensation, test using a tripod, then learn about the relationship between using a high enough shutter speed for the style of photo (something moving vs something stationary) & the 1 over focal length rule & how you can raise the ISO to allow a higher shutter speed if necessary.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

smack53
Mentor

Simple question, are you making sure the camera pre focuses by pressing the shutter button halfway first? I see many people press the shutter button all the way and move before the picture is taken. Result is always a bad shot. I also agree about learning the different ways to use the camera where you are in control and not the camera. You will be amazed how much your pictures will improve!

Good luck.

Smack53

Very good point on "pre focusing" before taking the shot.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thanks for the replys and advice.  I was aware of the "pre focusing" before taking the shot, but as others have noted, practice makes perfect.  I will continue to try to impove. My wife bought me this camera as a gift and was impressed with the picture quality before the purchace; now I will strive to get the same results.

Announcements