cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My S5 IS Powershot gives "change battery" message

josephmotto
Contributor

My camera was working well until recently. Now, when in shooting mode, I get a message "change battery" or "charge battery" even though I have tried several sets of fully charged batteries properly inserted. In viewing mode I can see olf photos without trouble but in shooting mode I get the message.

3 REPLIES 3

John_
Authority

I happen to know a lot about the S5 iS model. Since you tried several good batteries the problem is after the battery.

Inspect the inside of the battery compartment for dirt or corrosion on the contacts inside.A product called Deoxit 5 is good for cleaning that and wont hurt the plastics.

If you have the AC adapter try using the camera with that, no battery, that could narrow it down as to where the problem is.

Remove the battery and the date button battery close up the battery compartment and move the power levery to on-hold it there for at least 30 seconds.

In the end if it is not an easy, no service needed fix the cost of a repair will most likely not be worth the value of the camera on eBay for instance.

Thank you, John. On inspection the battery compartment looks pristine with not a smidge of corosion on either end. I do not have an AC adapter. Looks to me as though it is time to look for a new camera for my wife. If you have any recommendations for a current camera similar to the S5 IS that she loves I will be listening.

Thanks again for your help.

Ever since my first Powershot G5, then the S5 and now the SX50 Ive grown totally partial to the flip out/swivel LCD as well as the other awesome features, functions and software. It's a smaller learning curve too since Canon has maintained continuity throughout the Powershot line. Depending on your budget and what you like Id say sttck with the Powershot series you cant go wrong. You can sell the broken one too and get some money back towards another one depending on what you have, the original box, cables,book, batteries etc.they still sell.

Announcements