cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My PowerShot SX260 HS stops video recording prematurely. Why?

JES
Apprentice

My PowerShot SX260 HS stops video recording prematurely.  The elapsed time turns red for a few seconds then it stops recording.  This usually happens around the 16 min. mark on 1080p video.  I just bought a faster Class 10 Ultra SDXC memory card rated for HD video.  It did not help at all.  I also tried low level formatting the card.  How can I record longer videos?

9 REPLIES 9

Mykolas
Authority

Hi JES!

Thank you for posting!

What you are seeing is normal.  Due to certain limitations, when a movie clip reaches either 4 GB in size or approximately 30 minutes in length, recording will stop and you will need to start another clip.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hello, I have this same camera and the video recorder turning off after 4GB of footage is not what I am looking for in a camera.  I need it to continously record.

Can you guys please recommend a camera that does continously record in the similar price range as this one please!! ??

Thank you!

Steer clear of Canon.  They don't mention this anywhere in the manual.  In the troubleshooting section if video stops they recommend buying a faster SD card which I did before I realized the camera wasn't cable of recording longer videos.  Apparently the only place this is mentioned is on page 32 or something of the quick start guide - which I never read because I always jump straight into the full detail of the manual.

Also the clips are only 30 minutes in lenghth at 720p.  They are around 16 minutes at full 1080p.  Even the Canon employee who responded to this post and gave the most direct answer I've recieved from any of them is still quite misleading.

In order to maintain the widest possible level of compatibility with memory cards and computer storage, Canon uses the FAT 32 (File Allocation Table, 32 bit) system.  Because of this, movie clips are restricted to a maximum of 4 GB or 29 Minutes, 59 seconds in length.

Camcorders that record longer segments break your movies into smaller segments that are reassembled during the edit process on your computer.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I am having a similar problem. This has happened to me and I have NO CLUE why. I am not sure for how long we were recording a video scene for something (my cousin and I were making a video with my Powershot camera). This thing suddenly stops working and then it did not let me record anything else. Why?

However, I need to know if this solution will prevent this problem from happening. I managed to delete one video scene and it lets me record videos, HOWEVER, I have an 8 GB SD card and this is what's more confusing: The camera screen is labeled 1' 17" remaining. What does that mean? Does this message mean that at some point, the camera will stop recording stuff?

That 1' 17" means 1 hour and 17 minutes of recording time remains on the sd card.

Incorrect, it means 1 min and 17 seconds left.

Richard, that reassembly of video segemnts you mentioned for camcorders is done automatically in the software ?

Announcements