cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My G7X keeps turning off while shooting video..any tips?

DTikkanen
Apprentice

I am new to Canon...coming from the Nikon world..and having a problem trying to shoot video with my new G7X. 

The camera turns off after a few minutes...any tips?

10 REPLIES 10

cicopo
Elite

The most common cause is that your memory card transfer (Write) speed is too slow. Check the manual for the recommended class of card needed to save video.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

DTikkanen
Apprentice

I am using a sandisk ultra 32GB SDXC card...any suggestions?

Is this the card type you're using? If so Sandisk doesn't have the nerve to list the Write speed which implies it's slow relative to the Read speed.

http://www.sandisk.com/products/memory-cards/sd/ultraplus-uhs-1-class10-48mbs/

What does YOUR manual specify?

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

You may find some answers to a different question here helpful.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1355328

A very nice choice of camera's that G7X is !!

A speed class of 6 or higher is reccommened to achievve the highest recording lenght in time and GB's. 

Just how long before it shuts off ?

Have you formatted it properly in the camera ? Tried a different card ?

This is from your manual and Ive looked at many Powershot manuals...it is the same or very similar for all.

g7x.JPG

This is driving me crazy, the G7X keeps shutting down while in Star Timelapse mode after a few minutes. I've used many card, the most recent one is the SanDisk Extreme Pro with 95mb/s write speed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

How old is the battery? Does it say anything before it shuts down?

I bought the camera about 6 months ago as well as a set of two extra battaries from amazon at the same time, not sure how long they were on the shelf before that.

I never see the screen when it shuts off as I've usually just left it, will test it and look.

Thanks

Call Canon, if it is still 6 mos old, you should be able to get it repaired under warranty.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements