cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My A3000IS doesn't focus in video mode.

mjbeejr
Contributor

My Canon A3000 IS will not focus when in video recording mode. I hold the Rec button halfway until I hear two beeps and then press it further until the camera begins recording and the clock is running, but for some reason the camera will not focus. I did notice that when the Rec button is depressed halfway I can see it focus on the LCD momentarily, at the point where the two beeps can be heard, but then it immediately falls out of focus.

I've tried taking videos at every range from normal to 4x zoom and beyond without much luck. In every instance the result is an out of focus video. When using the various still modes I have no focusing problems whatsoever. I'm stumped! Can anyone help me? Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi mjbeejr,
I'm sorry to hear of the difficulty you've encountered with focusing in your PowerShot A3000 IS.  The following describes how this should work:

Attention:
  • In this section, [PowerShot A3100 IS] is used as an example to explain the operations. Depending on your model, the position of buttons, screen indications, and setting items may vary.

Shooting Movies

1. Set the [Shooting Mode] to <Movie> (), and then press the <Power> button of the camera.

2. The following screen appears.

The maximum shooting duration appears on the [LCD Monitor].

If it does not appear, press the <DISP.> button () several times.

3. Hold the camera facing the subject, and press the <Zoom Button> to decide the size at which you want to capture the subject.

Attention:

The optical zoom cannot be used during movie-recording. You can use the digital zoom, but images may appear coarse.

4. Press the <Shutter Button> halfway to focus.

When the camera focuses, it beeps twice, and the indicator lights in green.

5. Press the <Shutter Button> fully to start shooting.

When the camera starts shooting, [Elapsed Time] and [Rec] appear on the [LCD Monitor].

Once shooting begins, take your finger off the <Shutter Button>.

If you change the composition of your shot during shooting, the focus will stay the same, but the brightness and tone will automatically adjust.

Attention:

• Do not touch the <Microphone> during shooting.
  • Please note that the sounds of camera operation are also recorded during shooting.

6. Press the <Shutter Button> fully again to stop shooting.

The camera beeps once and stops shooting.

The indicator blinks in green, and the movie is recorded to the memory card.

Note:
  • Shooting will automatically stop when the memory card is full.
  • Recording will automatically stop when either the clip file size reaches 4 GB or the recording time reaches approximately 1 hour.
  • Recording may stop even if the maximum clip length has not been reached on some memory cards. SD Speed Class 4 or higher memory cards are recommended.

Playing Back Movies

7. Press the <Playback> () button.

8. The last image you shot appears.

() appears on the movies.

To select a movie, operate the <directional buttons> left or right to display the movie that you want to play back.

Press the <FUNC./SET> () button.

9. Play back the movie.

Operate the <directional buttons> left or right to select [Play] ().

Operate the <directional buttons> up or down to adjust the sound volume.

Press the <FUNC./SET> () button to play back the movie.

Press the <FUNC./SET> () button again to pause the movie.

Note:
  • You can adjust the sound volume even while a movie is being played back by operating the <directional buttons> up or down.
  • You can use your computer to play back movies.

If yours still won't focus, unfortunately, it will require service to correct this issue.  Please mail your digital camera to the Factory Service Center shown below.  When shipping your camera, please be sure to remove the memory card and batteries.  You are not required to send any accessories or manuals when shipping the camera.  Be sure to include your name, street address (no P.O. boxes, please), telephone number, and a letter describing the issue with the product.  Since it has been less than one year since the camera was purchased, we ask that you also include proof of warranty in the form of a copy of your sales receipt.

As we do not provide RMA numbers for service, we suggest using a trackable and insurable service (i.e. UPS, Federal Express, Priority Mail) to ship your camera.  Please package the camera very securely in a sturdy shipping box to prevent damage during shipment.

Please send your camera to the following address:

Canon Factory Service
12022 Canon Boulevard
Newport News, VA 23606

Upon arrival at the Factory Service Center, your camera will be logged in to our repair database and assigned a repair number.  Next, the camera will be visually inspected.  If the problem experienced is covered by the warranty, a replacement unit will be sent out automatically and you will not be contacted.  The replacement camera will be shipped back to you via Federal Express.  The length of time for a replacement to be sent will be dependent upon volume at the Factory Service Center and availability of replacement cameras.  A replacement will normally be sent back within approximately seven to ten business days of the original camera's arrival at the Factory Service Center.

All decisions regarding warranty coverage are made by the Factory Service Center once they receive and evaluate the camera.  If the problem is caused by something not covered by the warranty, a written estimate will be sent to you at the address that you have provided.  The replacement camera will not be sent until you approve this estimate and make payment arrangements.  If, after receiving the estimate, you do not wish to have the camera replaced, please inform the Factory Service Center of your decision as soon as possible.  If you decline the estimate, your original camera will be shipped back to you unrepaired.

Once you have confirmed with your shipper that the camera has been delivered, you are more than welcome to contact us for repair updates. Please include your name, address, and telephone number, as well as the serial number of the camera, in all status inquiries. 

Please note that our U.S. Factory Service Centers are unable to accept packages from or return equipment to addresses outside the United States.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi Richard,

Just saw the reply to my problem witth the AS3000IS. I wiil try the steps you've suggested and let you know how I make out. Thank you for all the info, it's greatly appreciated!

Hello Richard,

I believe I caused the focus problem by not following the zoom instructions properly. I followed the procedures in the description, which you've provided, with favorable results. So far, so good.Thank you for your help.

So, I zoom out to the subject I want to make a video of, are you saying the camera won't focus on the subject since I'm using the zoom? When I use the camera, once I zoom out and partially push the shutter button the focus tries to adjust, I can see at one point that the picture is in focus, but the camera goes past this point and stops at a point where the video is out of focus and my videos are out of focus. I never see the green boxes to indicate what's being focused on either. Is this normal?

scheval67,

Are you in the process of shooting the video when this occurs or is this before you start recording?

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

This is before I start recording. I zoom out, I press the shutter button part way to focus, but it stops when it's not in focus. During the focus seeking process, there is a point where the view is in focus but the camera does not stop there. It autofocuses out of focus so when I push the shutter button all the way down to start recording the video is out of focus.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements