cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory card error on my Canon Powershot SX20IS..

elw21102
Contributor

The message is saying that I do not have a memory card in the camera. I tried taking the card out and inserting it again. I tried using a new card. I was hoping I do not have to send the camera away for it to be fixed. Is there anything else I can try to do?

Thanks

Eileen

6 REPLIES 6

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Elw21102,

First, please ensure that your memory card is compatible with your camera.  Your camera will accept the SD and SDHC memory cards.  It is not compatible with the larger SDXC memory card standard.

Next, please check to see that the memory card is not locked.  If you look at the edge of the memory card, you'll see a very small switch.  To unlock the memory card, slide the switch forward, towards the side of the card with the metal contacts.

If your memory card is one of the compatible types and is not locked, I recommend trying another brand/ model memory card.

If the camera won't accept this memory card, unfortunately, your camera will require repair to correct this issue.  You may set up repairs on this page.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hello, Richard,

Thanks for the reply. Is there a way of finding out how much the repair would cost?  It may not be worth an expensive repair job. I did try the lock and a different card.

Eileen

Hi Elw21102,

We would need to evaluate the camera at the Factory to be able to provide any estimate.  Regrettably we cannot provide any ballpark pricing or estimate until the camera is received.  We recommend continuing ahead with sending your camera in for evaluation.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Good afternoon!

This is some great info as I'm looking into purchasing a memory card for my SX20IS that I just received.  My only question is what is the largest size SDHC memory card this camera can use?  I'm looking at a 32GB that is currently on sale and just want to make sure it will work.  Thank you!

These types of cards are recommended  SD/SDHC Memory Card, MultiMediaCard, MMCplus Card, HC MMCplus Card

And 32GB is fine, even 64GB will work. I've never gone higher than 64 GB and that was because I was taking a lot of long videos.

Brody
Apprentice

I am having the same problem

Announcements