cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum flash trigger voltage for G12

pupa
Apprentice

Curious if anyone has tried a Vivitar 285HV flash on a G12? I know the older 283s and 285s have a very high trigger voltage (I have a 283 which I measured at 200v), but the 285HV is much lower, I measured it to be just under 9v. I've read that Canon recommends maximum 6v, but I've also read that the circuitry can handle more, maybe even much more.

2 REPLIES 2

smack53
Mentor

Pupa,

I cannot seem to find if the Vivitar 285HV is even compatible with the Canon hot shoe pin configuration. As an example, I use the ProMaster 2500EDF for my Canon G12, and the unit is configured to work with the hot shoe pin configuration. This allows full TTL mode controlled in the camera and works just as I had hoped. I also have a Zeikos flash unit which does not work in the hot shoe, and must be attached with a bracket to the bottom of the camera. There is no camera control over the level or intensity of the flash, but there are different modes the unit can be set to manually.  I would suggest getting in touch with the folks at Vivitar to see if the Vivitar 285HV is compatible with the hot shoe of the G12 or if you will need a separate mounting bracket.

Smack53

Hi, thanks for the response. The contact on the foot of the 285HV aligns with the contact on the G12 shoe. Of course I wouldn't expect TTL or anything but manual operation, but for my purposes that's fine. My main concern is the trigger voltage. I don't even want to test fire it before hearing from someone who's tried this flash (or one with a 9v TV) for fear of frying something in the camera.

Announcements