cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max record time SX-HS series

dane
Contributor
Hi all,

I understand that power shot and other model cameras have a 4gb max recording time which equals around 20mins. That is the case with my SX50HS. I am highly interested in buying the SX60HS that was just recently announced. Does anyone know if this camera will have that max record time? Also does anyone know why these cameras have that? Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

hsbn
Whiz
All still camera has a time limit of 29 minutes and 59 second. Older camera has file size limit of 4Gb this is due to system limit. Newer camera (not all) can create another file if it has reached the 4Gb limit.
They limit still camera to 29min59sec because if it can record more than that, it will be considered a camcorder and it will be taxed differently.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

So the SX60HS will have this 29 min 59 second limit too you would guess?

It has to.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So basically, if I want to record above 29 min 59 sec, I have to buy a camcorder or professional video recorder....?

Yes, or record 2 video and join them in post.
Announcements