cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max. DPI? (or other ways to increase image quality)

lmighton
Contributor

I increased the image quality to 'fine' which seems to be the maximum.  The result that I get is 180 dpi.  I'd like higher than this.  Possible?

Or is 180 dpi the max. this camera can do?

If I increase image size, and then in editing adjust size to whatever I need, will this improve image quality any further?

Thx. in advance for help,

Lisa

12 REPLIES 12

John_
Authority

Hi Lisa, can you give us the model of your camera so that we can help you better ?

John

Sorry John, I thought I had posted in the specific forum... we have a Powershot G12.   I'm trying for the highest DPI I can get out of the camera?

Hi again,

10MP is the largest file size on your camera and it is selected using the Func. Set buttion to first select 4:3 aspect ratio and then the same button to select L for Large file size. 4:3 aspect ration is need for the max MP's of 10.

John

cicopo
Elite

The software you are viewing the photos in is misleading you. It is telling you that at 180 DPI your image will be a certain size which may be displayed at the bottom in some programs or you may need to turn RULERS on to see the size.

Depending on the model of camera you want to set the camera to large fine jpg which is the highest quality of jpg. Check your manual to see if that setting is available & find the instructions for setting it. The camera stores the information as pixels and NOT dpi.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

smack53
Mentor

Are you shooting in RAW at all? If so, then you can save the file from RAW (CR2) to JPEG to a higher DPI than 180 using the Digital Photo Professional software that Canon furnished with the camera. I have mine set to a DPI of 350 and Image Quality setting at high (10). You can make any adjustments to keep file sizes down to where they are acceptable to you if you don't need the same levels I use.

That sounds a bit above my tech. awareness at the moment... 'Raw' is a setting accessed on the camera somewhere?

Lisa

This is right from your manual pg 80-81. The first part tells you how to select Raw or Raw&JPG file format. In the second part it shows the resulting image will be just a little larger that 14MP and you must use the software for this procedure. It's not that hard, practice on something first.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Hi 

My advice is not to shoot RAW (file ending CR2) as you will have to process your output after loading your pictures onto your PC. When you shoot in JPEG then you do not necessarily have to work on your files (RAW development).

I would wait until i am more familiar with all these terms and technical options before you start with RAWs. Note that most people shot only in JPEG anyway. So do not worry.

Cheers Alex

Use RAW, definitely. Digital Photo Professional will allow you to kake some adjustments and then save it as a .jpg file.

The result is better than that produced by the camera. DPP is free, if you want more control then use Photoshop or Lightbox. Set to get RAW and jpg to confirm - it's also simpler to review the pictures on a pc.

Accurate focussing and rock-steady shot!

Announcements