cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maintaing Focus Video on Elph 130IS

Paige
Apprentice

I primarily use my Canon PowerShot Elph 130IS for taking videos of the products I design and sell on the Internet.  The subject of my videos are R/C Gliders known as "Slope Planes."  These planes are usually flown at the top of a hill where the glider can ride uplifting winds.

My problem is that I have yet to have found the right combination of settings that allow the glider to stay in focus.  I would say that around 30% of my videos are out of focus.  I'm able to edit out the out of focus parts to make decent video, but it is still very frustrating because some of my best aerobatic moves are lost to editing because they are out of focus.  

I have tried just about everything to include "Program Mode" and set the focus to Infinity...not much if any difference.  

I have a feeling that it has something to do with tracking in that it seems to go out of focus when the glider changes distances from the camera.  

I would love to know if it is possible to set up the camera in such a way that it maintains focus no matter how close the glider is or how far away it is.

Here is a finished example of what I use my camera for in my business...the camera is basically strapped to my forehead.

https://vimeo.com/44354738

Thanks in advance.

-MacPaige

4 REPLIES 4

smack53
Mentor

Paige,

Have you set the camera to use the object tracking (Tracking AF) in the menu? (page 61 of the manual http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/0/0300010310/02/elph120is-130is-cu2-en.pdf)

Steve

Hi Steve it looks like that Tracking AF is only available for still images ?

I stand corrected John. You are right about that. It's been awhile since using ELPH cameras! The Tracking AF is only for stills.

John_
Authority

Hi Paige after looking at the available focus settings/options for that model camera for movies I think I see your dilemma. Unfortunately while taking movies you do not have the option of using say Servo AF which continuosly maintains the focus. Also it looks to me that setting th focus to infinity is only available when shooting still images not movies on your model camera so it has no effect. The best options for you with that camera for movies from what I see is to be sure your AF Frame Size is set to Normal and not Small and Continuos Focus is set to on. Also try with Image Stabilization set to Continous as well as Off for your application.

I assume you want to focus at varying distances, if you want to focus or focusing at a certain distance will work better for you then you can try to use the AF focus lock option.

Capture.JPG 

Hang in there though there are others who will also chime in with advice for you too. 

By the way what your doing sounds pretty cool !!

John

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements