cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limitations of manual focus

dlst260
Contributor

I just bought a new SX260. While this is a wonderful camera in many ways, I had hoped to use the manual focus to be able to focus, while in close-up macro mode, on an insect sitting on a plant amidst flowers rather than having to accept auto-mode focus in which the particular object of interest is almost never in focus.

Unfortunately, it appears that the SX260 does not allow manual focus in macro mode (these are separate modes, oddly--why is manual focus a mode at all?), and when zoom is employed in Live mode, the range of manual focal adjustment seems to be, inexplicably, rather limited vs. the auto-mode focus at the same degree of zoom.

In short, it thus far appears I have bought the wrong camera, but I have not quite given up: Is there any way to achieve with this camera what I wish to achieve--close-up macro shots with full control over focus? My $45 MS webcam has this manual focus capability, but I cannot take it with me on a hike.

It would also be helpful for users if the manual could mention on p.125 that the Mode dial must NOT be in the default AUTO position if manual focus is desired.

Thanks very much for any suggestions. 

7 REPLIES 7

smack53
Mentor

dlst260,

The difference between the macro mode and the manual focus is that as you noted, the macro mode controls the final focus. Macro mode only operates in a limited range, whereas if you switch to manual focus (MF), you can focus down to the macro range, or all the way out to infinity. Just keep spinning the focus wheel until you get below the first part of the focus range. You can focus down to the same range as the macro mode. I use this feature quite a bit for macro shots and it works well. The annoying part is to change the focus range you'll need to press the MF button each time to access the focus. Would be nice if there were a focus ring like the S110 has.

For optimal use of the manual focus, you should get out of Auto and Live View modes and use Av, Tv, or Manual modes. You'll have greater control over the end result and get much better photos. Those other modes are really for those who will be satisfied with whatever the camera decides on. From your description, it sounds like you want to get the most from your camera, so I would highly recommend learning the other modes I mentioned above. Good luck with the new camera!

Steve M.

Steve, thanks for your very helpful reply. I will explore those modes.

Since posting the above, I have had better luck with manual focusing close up in LIVE mode, and also using, in AUTO mode, the focus tracking feature in which the user chooses a section of the field on which to focus. 

Here's a question about Manual mode: I am sitting at my desk and have the camera in Manual mode and I am pointing it at an object about 3 feet away. I zoom in to about 80% of the optical max, invoke Manual Focus, and then attempt to focus by turning the focus wheel counter-clockwise. The image gets less blurred within the magnified focus rectangle, but by the time the wheel no longer has any effect at un-blurring the image, the camera has not reached sharp focus. Is there any way around this? 

Dave 

Dave,

Three feet is too close to zoom in to 80% zoom. While you can focus to within 2" at the wide end of the lens, you need to increase that distance as you increase the focal length. Even in macro mode you would not be able to zoom in that much on an object that close without having a close up filter. Not sure if you can use one on your lens though. You would probably need an adapter.

So in essence, move further back as you increase the zoom (focal length) in order to achieve focus. Macro mode is close up photography without zoom being used. The zoom (telephoto) is only useful for close up viewing of objects that are further away, not for making close objects larger.

Hope that helps.

Steve M.

Thanks, Steve. Well, it's always about increasing the size of the subject, regardless of distance, and if I want to zoom in on a rattlesnake I don't want to get closer to make the image bigger! I want to zoom instead. 😉 I think there's a way to manually focus on a close-ish zoomed object, but I can't reliably reproduce it yet. I'll post when I can. Best regards,

Dave

Steve, as you said, it is just a matter of moving farther away from the subject. After messing with camera/subject distance in relation to zoom, it seems that to make use of the maximum optical zoom when close-ish to the subject, the camera must be at least 1 meter away from the subject, and that distance can be reduced somewhat as the zoom is reduced. This applies either in manual mode with manual focus or in AUTO mode using the tracking feature to focus the camera on a specific area of the field of view. So, to "enlarge" the rattlesnake without getting too close to it, withdraw to at least 1 meter, then zoom to the max or even beyond into digital zoom (not sure there's an advantage w/ the latter vs. just enlarging the image afterwards). 

John_
Authority

They kind of hide the fact its not available in Auto mode on page 230  Functions and Menus table and vaguely imply it on the page you mentioned.

It looks to me all the modes focus within 2inches and you can use MF in all modes except Auto or Easy Modes.

I small tripod or tripod helps too

John, that (modes and MF) looks right to me too. Thanks.

Dave
Announcements