cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens won't extend, Camera won't power up

Schwo5
Apprentice

Canon PowerShot WX160IS

Camera was dropped and the lens won't extend when I turn it on.   I've cleaned around the lens, pressed the power and shutter at the same time, and tapped with the power button pressed.  Any further suggestions?

Thank you!

Andrea

2 REPLIES 2

Davy
Rising Star

Sorry to have to tell you it sounds like a service job... the lens system is a complexed affair with several moving parts powered by a motor,  whether it would be viable to have repaired no one can say until the problem has been diagnosed, it could quite easily be something next to nothing.

One thing to do, is to lay it flat on it's back and see if the lens assembly is more or less central,  you only need a small displacement for the whole unit to jam. Should it be off-center you could try very gently teasing it to a central position whilst powering it up - it may work, it may not.

Grits of sand between the lens assembly has been known to make many a camera stick - not necessarily your model,  for illustration that is the kind of tolerance we're talking about.

Dave

Yes i concur with what Dave said and maybe just maybe if the lens was knocked off center you can nudge it back in line. Anything else would require the diagnosis, service and maybe parts. Some times a complete diagnosis and repair estimate is only available after the camera is taken apart and the complete damage is revealed. At that point you'll already be invested since they won't do that for free, I dont think. That camera now goes for $114 on Amazon, if I couldnt fix it myself I would sell it for parts/non working on eBay and buy another camera.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements