cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LCD screen not working on new SX70 HS

New_SX70_user
Apprentice

I received this camera as a gift & tried it out today for the first time. I can not get the LCD screen to turn on. The viewfinder works fine. I've read the manual, as well as previous posts on this forum & have tried 'Reset Camera', adjusting the Display Control from Auto to Manual, hitting the Quick Control button several times....and nothing, just a black screen. 

I'm hoping someone will be able to 'enlighten' me. 

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

New_SX70_user
Apprentice

Just a follow up. I contacted Canon via phone, then drove to their service center in Irvine, CA. After inspection, they decided they could not fix the issue with the monitor & will be sending me a new camera. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@New_SX70_user wrote:

I received this camera as a gift & tried it out today for the first time. I can not get the LCD screen to turn on. The viewfinder works fine. I've read the manual, as well as previous posts on this forum & have tried 'Reset Camera', adjusting the Display Control from Auto to Manual, hitting the Quick Control button several times....and nothing, just a black screen. 

I'm hoping someone will be able to 'enlighten' me. 

Thanks!

If you can access the menus and are able to "Reset Camera" back to factory defaults, that tells me the LCD screen is probably working just fine, and your problem is elsewhere.  Make sure hat you have removed the lens cap.  If removing the lens cap does not produce a screen image, then I suggest that you contact Canon Support for your area.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you for your prompt response. Yes, the lens cap is off. I'll give Canon a call on Monday!

Have a great weekend!

New_SX70_user
Apprentice

Just a follow up. I contacted Canon via phone, then drove to their service center in Irvine, CA. After inspection, they decided they could not fix the issue with the monitor & will be sending me a new camera. 

PaddlePups
Apprentice

If I use auto seting on an overcast or cloudy day, the photos are blurry, fuzzy, dark, and not in focus. This is a refurbished camera, sent to me by Canon after my first SX70 was returned due to the zoom lens freezing. I have had this one only maybe 6 months, and it seems to be geting worse. Bright sunny days, fine...but if not, the photos are crap.canon 2.jpg

@PaddlePups wrote:

If I use auto seting on an overcast or cloudy day, the photos are blurry, fuzzy, dark, and not in focus. This is a refurbished camera, sent to me by Canon after my first SX70 was returned due to the zoom lens freezing. I have had this one only maybe 6 months, and it seems to be geting worse. Bright sunny days, fine...but if not, the photos are crap.canon 2.jpg

Looks pretty normal to me.  The camera has an ISO that tops out at 3200 and a maximum aperture of around 3.5(?).  Odds are the shutter is pretty slow, which means what you are seeing could be camera shake.  

What is the shutter speed and zoom setting in mm?

I suggest that you use a tripod, or set the camera on a stable surface and take some shots.  The "problem" wil never completely go away, but your shots should look noticeably better.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks...I use "nature's tripods", but I am going to fool around iwth different settings. I just hope it is not one of the auto-focus issues described by others in this forum.( most of my pics are taken while canoeing, so I can't mess around too much with changing settings as the canoe bobs in the wind!)

Announcements