cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue when shooting through glass - SX730

flashcat1993
Contributor

I recently replaced my older model Panasonic with the SC730 (husband convinced me).  We just finished a 2 week trip on buses ... so was shooting through glass many times.  The old camera had a setting to help with the reflection issue, but the Canon doesn't.  Any ideas of what I can use for a hood ... since Canon doesn't offer one.  I find I'll have to carry two cameras ... one for inside the bus (the Panasonic) and the Canon when I want more distance.  I really don't want to have to do that.

4 REPLIES 4

ScottyP
Authority

According to the Panasonic user manuals, the "through glass" mode is just telling the autofocus to prioitize focus on far-away things rather than up close things, so the camera does not focus on the surface of the window, at a reflection or on dust specks, etc...  There is no built-in polarizing filter or anythng like that.

You can shoot  try simply shooting your canon in "Av" mode, which is Aperture Priority mode, and then you can select a low f/value, which is a large aperture opening in the lens.  This gives a shallow depth of field in focus.  Then if you press your camera up against the glass, or just a fraction of an inch away from the glass, there is little chance your camera will be able to focus so close as the surface of the glass so it will hopefully focus on the things you want it to.

You can also use manual focus (p.75 in your manual) to select a range of focus that is a lot farther away than your window glass.  Then you can even lock focus (p. 80 in your manual).  

The biggest thing though should be just to get right up to the glass to shoot.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Thanks ... I appreciate the information and will keep it for future use.  The focusing wasn't the issue as the camera handled that part very well.  I had major issues with reflection.  I was close to the glass and tried to shoot at an angle, but nearly every snap captured reflections.  I'm now looking for a flexible hood to see if that might help. 

Could it be the bus window was tinted to heavily? Reflections on the inside are also caused by a lack of light coming thru the glass at your lens and your eyes. 

Hmmm - that could be.  I didn't think about that, but in reviewing the pics from different days (and buses), some were much worse than others.  Thanks for the insight.  I think I'll still look for a hood - just to see if that might make a difference.  You assistance is much appreciated.

I'd only had this camera a few days before we went on holiday.  Overall I've been pleased with the ease of operation as well as the pictures.

Announcements