cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Canon Powershot SX50 HS any good? I recently got one from my parents.

mehulkasi85
Apprentice

So my mom gave it to me a while back. I realize it's pretty old but it's still a fairly decent camera (or is it?). Whenever I shoot videos, they seem fine, but after rendering they get all pixelated and stuff. Do you think that's the camera issue? I don't have any lenses on it (and I am not a big camera guy to begin with), so I was wondering whether it's better to just get a new one or keep using this one?

I don't think it's THAT outdated, but I'd love some insight from people who know what's up lol. Thank you in advance!

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The camera is 9 yrs old.  Thats ancient considering whats available now.  The SX50 is a basic point and shoot camera.  A working camera is better than no camera at all, but only you can answer this question.  "Should I get something newer".  If the camera is not meeting your needs and you have the budget, then yes.  There are no lenses available for this camera, it doesn't accept other lenses.  This camera was designed for someone who is looking to capture snapshots and video.  The casual user who is more interested in memories, not an enthusiast looking to expand his/her photography skills.     

"Whenever I shoot videos, they seem fine, but after rendering they get all pixelated and stuff."

What is your definition of rendering?  Playing back on a computer?

Providing your computer specs and any other relevant information would help us better understand the issue you are facing. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

John_
Authority

If you go on YouTube there's a pro-photographer who does a very good series of videos on how to get the most out of your SX50HS. He describes the SX50 in detail and very easy to understand. I have the SX50HS and enjoy using it and can get very good pictures. Here is the link to Episode 1 from MWest Photography and from there you can go thru all the episodes:  https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/powershot/message-id/15290 

John is totally correct. I used the sx50 for five years until it lost the plot and on the eve of an African trip! I got the sx60, then to be surpassed by the SX70. The 70 is sharper than the 60, but it has the mic in option AND I got an exceptional insurance trade-in deal on a SX60.

You won’t be too disappointed with SX50, it’s a freebie!

John? That link isn't working for me?

Grazie, Ok do a search on You Tube for MWest Photography. I just checked and the episodes were still there. Episodes 1, 2, 3 etc.. all of them dedicated to the SX50HS

I like the SX50 so much I bought a refurbished one from Canon for my daughter.

I am holding out for the SX100HS!! lol

Announcements