cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IXUS 285 can't connect to PC

mickywoodsie
Contributor

I just bought an IXUS 285 but can't get it to connect to my PC with Wi-Fi. I entered the password for my network OK and it saw the PC but wouldn't connect. The PC wi-fi prep software installed and ran OK. But when i try to openy to open the software it just says "can't detect camera"  I must be missing something obvious, can anybody help?

10 REPLIES 10

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

from Canon Literature:

"Share your images with friends

Sharing your memories is simple the new IXUS range’s Wi-Fi and Dynamic NFC functionalities. You can start connecting at the touch of a button or with a tap of the camera with a compatible smartphone or to a photo storage device such as the Canon CS100. You can even upload your creations directly to social networks or effortlessly back-up photos and videos to Canon’s irista, an advanced, cloud-based image management platform. "

------------------------------------

I do not think that same camera model is available in the U.S., where I am located. You haven't really provided enough information for someone to give you specific advice beyond, "Call Canon Support."  For example, what type of network.

If you were adding a laptop computer to your network, think about the steps you would have to take.  The first step is turn on the laptop WiFi, and connecting to the access point.  In most wireless routers sold today, this gives you access to just the internet, if present.  Connection with the local network is an entirely different stop.  That second step, joining the local network, could be what is missing.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I have home network and have no problem withg any other devices Ipads,Ipods, phones, laptops, games consoles etc, etc  I have entered the security key into the camera OK and it sees the PC -= just wont connect. The downloaded software wont open it just says "can't detect camera"  MY PC IS discoverable on the network and I ran canons PC wi-fi prep software which is saying everything is OK ???

@mickywoodsie wrote:

I have home network and have no problem withg any other devices Ipads,Ipods, phones, laptops, games consoles etc, etc  I have entered the security key into the camera OK and it sees the PC -= just wont connect. The downloaded software wont open it just says "can't detect camera"  MY PC IS discoverable on the network and I ran canons PC wi-fi prep software which is saying everything is OK ???

When trying to connect any two devices together with wifi, it's very important that the devices are in agreement as to who is the access point and who is the client. (Hint: For any given device, it may not always be the same. Note the two-headed arrow in Waddizzle's diagram.) If that point isn't settled, it's bound not to work.

A camera, PC, or smartphone can be either a client or an access point. Under some conditions the latter two can be both at once. When setting things up, you really have to know what you're doing. I'm not suggesting that the OP doesn't, just that it's very easy to get it wrong.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks for responding - canon advertised this product as being able to connect to the PC I have followed their instructions and downloaded their software to do this - it doesn't work - simple as that!

Hi mickywoodsie!

At this point, it might be best to get in touch with support.

Wer're Canon USA, so our team can't help with your IXUS, as we don't support that model, however Canon UK can help! They're at https://www.canon.co.uk/support/

We hope this helps!

Thanks for your advice - I didn't realise that it was a different region!

Ho ho!

No worries! We're glad we can get you pointed in the right direction! 

hi

Just got canon ixus 285 hs and is there another method other than wifi of connecting the camera to my windows 10 pc please?

thanks

John

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Wireless_NFC.PNG

Hopefully, this diagram will  help you better understand the "Wi-Fi" capabilities of many Canon cameras.  I had once fooled myself into thinking that "Wi-Fi" equated to "wirelessly networkable."  It doesn't on some camera models.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements