cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to put a camera on the alter for weddings and control it with my android phone.

PhotosbyMJ
Contributor

Do modern powershot camers have the ability to be controlled via a smartphone? What range can I expect when doing this?

Has anyone tried this and whats worked for you? CamRanger system is too expensive. Please advise.

Canon EOS 60D, 1100D
Canon EF 28mm f2.8, Sigma 30 f1.8 ART DC, Canon 'Nifty' 50 f1.8, Canon EF 85 f1.8 USM
Tokina 11-16 f2.8, Sigma 17-50 f2.8 EX DC OS USM, Sigma 50-150 f2.8 EX DC OS USM
Yongnuo YN 568EX II flashes with 622C Tranceivers
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@PhotosbyMJ wrote:

Do modern powershot camers have the ability to be controlled via a smartphone?

The Canon G1X Mk II would be ideal for this. It is WiFi capable and with a sensor size between M4/3 and APS-C it has fantastic image quality.

I don't have a Mk II, but, my G1X has no shutter sound. There is some sound from the lens focusing and nothing else.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

tinwhistle
Enthusiast

Don't have an answer to your question, but have one of my own. Have you talked this over with the Pastor? He may have something to say about this.

Asking this will be a factor in my research on this idea. Respecting the officiants rules is a top priority for me. I'm simply exploring the concept at this point. I think offering photos like this would be a great value for my clients (where I'm permitted to use a system like this of course).
Canon EOS 60D, 1100D
Canon EF 28mm f2.8, Sigma 30 f1.8 ART DC, Canon 'Nifty' 50 f1.8, Canon EF 85 f1.8 USM
Tokina 11-16 f2.8, Sigma 17-50 f2.8 EX DC OS USM, Sigma 50-150 f2.8 EX DC OS USM

@PhotosbyMJ wrote:
Asking this will be a factor in my research on this idea. Respecting the officiants rules is a top priority for me. I'm simply exploring the concept at this point. I think offering photos like this would be a great value for my clients (where I'm permitted to use a system like this of course).

Camera noise from the shutter activating should be high on your list of concerns, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@PhotosbyMJ wrote:

Camera noise from the shutter activating should be high on your list of concerns, too.

Most Powershot cameras use an electronic shutter, and with the simulated shutter noise turned off are virtually silent. 

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

The PowerShot category covers a wide range of cameras. The answer would be "some yes".

Go here and search for features, cost, etc.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/cameras

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@PhotosbyMJ wrote:

Do modern powershot camers have the ability to be controlled via a smartphone?

The Canon G1X Mk II would be ideal for this. It is WiFi capable and with a sensor size between M4/3 and APS-C it has fantastic image quality.

I don't have a Mk II, but, my G1X has no shutter sound. There is some sound from the lens focusing and nothing else.

I'm checking into renting this for the wedding. My biggest concern is the wi-fi range of operating the camera....how far can I (realistically) be away from it to control it with my smartphone?
Canon EOS 60D, 1100D

@PhotosbyMJ wrote:
I'm checking into renting this for the wedding. My biggest concern is the wi-fi range of operating the camera....how far can I (realistically) be away from it to control it with my smartphone?

Wireless range is impacted by a number of factors other WiFi on the same channel, obstructions, electrical interference, etc.

I think you could expect a minimum of about 30' worse case and a maximum of 100' best case. The only way to be sure is to test it.

Announcements