cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I own the Canon SX 50 HS and love it, however, I like the wide angle lens on the SX60 HS

nm
Apprentice

The Canon sx 50 hs is an amazing little camera with great zoom capability and clarity.  I have had it a little over 1 year.  The new sx 60 hs has a few new features that I love...the wider angle lens, and the create custom effects.  However, the stability of the camera is very shaky when zooming out.  I am questioning the value of upgrading from the 50 to 60. 

My shots are more abstract....zooming in on structures, eyes, etc.  I can take photos from my car with the 50 but not sure that would be possible with the 60.  I appreciate any input....or, is there another canon with the long zoom lilke by 50 with a few of the 60's features.

Thanks so much for your input,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I don't own one. But you said you have tried it, so I take it you've tried it in store right? In store, normally the brightness is not enough thus the shutter speed will be slow and you'll see shake. Also, camera setting also comes into play here too. The best way, take the SX 50 with you to the store, set the 60HS similar to your 50HS. Then take photo and compare. Sometimes, in store settings are not optimal.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

hsbn
Whiz
Are you using the SX 60HS now and running into problem? or you're just planning on upgrading and reading rumors off the internet? The 60HS has longer zoom range, as with longer zoom it's easier to shake. That's normal and expected.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

nm
Apprentice
I tried the ax 60 hs...wow....the shake was incredible. I do not use a tripod with the 50. The canon rep was a little ssurprised with the shake when he tried it. Do you have a 60?

I don't own one. But you said you have tried it, so I take it you've tried it in store right? In store, normally the brightness is not enough thus the shutter speed will be slow and you'll see shake. Also, camera setting also comes into play here too. The best way, take the SX 50 with you to the store, set the 60HS similar to your 50HS. Then take photo and compare. Sometimes, in store settings are not optimal.

nm
Apprentice
Actually...I tried it at home for a week....the clarity is a smudge bit better on the 50 and no shake..but.maybe a setting is off on the 60. Have you heard or read any teviews?

nm
Apprentice
I actually used the sx 60 has for about a week. I got so frustrated trying to hold the zoom shot without losing it in a shake. The 50 hs does not have this issue. I need a great zoom camera with professional results.

That is an aweful lot of zoom range to try and hold steady. The longer the focal length, the greater the shake will be, and the more a tripod or monopod is needed. Even long zooms for DSLR's have a difficult time with camera shake at the very long end of the zoom if not supported with a tripod. Any slight movement of your hand is greatly magnified at the long range and getting a steady shot can be near impossible. I would set up on a tripod and start to zoom in on the subject, then make adjustments to keep the subject centered in the view, then once you have the composition the way you want, zoom in the rest of the way. Then set a delay of at least two seconds for the shutter when you do take the shot. A remote trigger would be even better to avoid any possible camera shake.

Steve M.

I'd upgrade for the:-

1] Lockable Exposure and Focus in Video Mode

2] Audio In.

3] Focus Peaking

G

retiredphotog
Apprentice

I had a SX50 HS and recently bought a SX60 HS. I haven't really had any problems and the image stabilization works great. If you plan on shooting with the tele maxed out at 260x you would probably be better off using a tripod or rather than using digital zoom shooting using 50 or 65x optical zoom and use your software for digital zooming.

Another option might be only using the SX50 equivelent zooming when shooting handheld as the stabilization appears to be just as good or better than on the SX50.

Announcements