cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I own a Canon S5 and now my images are washed out? Do I need a new sensor? A new camera?

ScottS
Enthusiast

Since 2008, I have been the happy owner of a Canon S5. The good ol' reliable point and shoot with the amazing lens, now available with even more high powered telephoto, megapixel ratings, and features. But for several trips to India, this little camera did the job well for a point and shoot. Now...after backpacking in the Mission Mountains of Montana, and a wedding party, all of my photos, even the bright sunny day outdoor pics ~ appear washed out.

Do I need a new sensor?  Should I just "bury" this thing and get a new camera? Is it worth replacing a sensor?

Thanks for your input!

ScottS

4 REPLIES 4

ScottyP
Authority

Any possibility the lens needs cleaning?

Also, you never went near one of those Holi festivals in India did you?  The ones where people throw powdered paint all over themselves?  I have read that the paint gets into cameras and gums them up, and the pictures come out looking washed out due to the crud inside the lens and/or on the sensor.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Hey ScottyP,

My lens is good. Though I've gone all over Northern India, I never went to the powdered paint ceremonies. I wish it were something obvious. My fear is that it is just getting old. 

I've been considering a used Canon 40D.

Thanks for asking!

Scott S

Mykolas
Authority

ScottS,

Try resetting the camera by doing the following:

1.  Press MENU.

2.  Select the Set-up/Tools tab.

3.  Select Reset All.

4.  Select OK.

Now, set the mode to AUTO and take a picture.  Is the image washed out?

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks, Mike!

When I get home tonight I will give that a go!

Scott S

🙂

Announcements