cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have an older Canon Power Shot S2 IS. The camera goes on but it doesn't allow me to take a picture

vkoles
Apprentice

5 REPLIES 5

cicopo
Elite

Does it use a dedicated battery? If so are the batteries as old as the camera? If so they might be the problem. If it's like my S1 IS was which used AA's that's less likely the problem unless you're using very old rechargables. If it's not a battery problem it's time to send it for recycling & get something newer. 

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thanks for the info, this camera uses AA's so it's probably not a battery  problem. I'll try and take it apart, got nothing to lose.

I hear ya! I was wondering if you tried the self timer exposure too. The service manual is available online for that if you google it, if you proceed without it keep track of the screws

John_
Authority

If you have the AC adaptor the PS 700 you can try that and eliminate any battery causes. My guess from experience working on those older Powershot models is the shutter circuit board underneath the shutter button is either defective or because of use been pushed to far away from the shutter button to activate the switch on the board. The fix for it is easy if it just moved away but taking the camera apart and putting it back together is not for everyone.

Does it work using the self timer option? If so then what I said above is the problem, the shutter board is faulty or it has shifted away from the shutter button.

The cost to have someone repair is would be more than the camera is worth as you can get working used S2's very cheap.

Thank you very much for the info.. I'll try taking the camera apart, got nothing to lose.

Announcements