cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have an old Canon & looking to purchase new one that's good with moving objects (kids)

chrsteodu99
Apprentice

I have an old Canon camera (Powershot A610) and my 2 year old dropped it on the sidewalk this past summer.  My husband bought me a new Canon from Sam's Club for my birthday and I returned it.  I can't remember the model of it but I could not get a clear picture of my children playing on any setting.  It was about $300.  I found another old Powershot A610 on Ebay and purchased it for $50.  Now it is not working correctly, but it got us through summer, vacation and two birthdays. It has an extremely slow shutter time - not sure why because my old one worked great.  I would like suggestions for a new camera.  I just need something that's easy to carry (I'm not into changing lenses) and that will take a picture of my children playing in the leaves or riding on the merry go round without everything being blurry.  There has to be something out there.  If not, I'm just going to continue with the slow one with good pictures.  I also like the rotating screen on it but it's not a must-have.  Please help because I'm going to put it on my Christmas list!!!  Thanks for any help!!

3 REPLIES 3

smack53
Mentor

Hi Chrsteodu99,

Welcome to the Canon Forum. In order to give you some useful input about a new camera, the community would need to know what kind of price range you would be looking at. In general, cameras that have a larger sensor and fast lenses would be better able to capture children at their various activities. Fast lenses have a smaller number on the front of the lens barrel, such as 1.8. Something like 3.5 would be considered slower. Since you noted that you are interested in fixed lenses, I would suggest searching among Canon's high end point and shoot cameras. A camera such as the PowerShot G16 has a 1/1.7" sensor, and a 1:1.8-2.8 lens. The G16 sensor is a little larger than the ones in the PowerShot SX series of cameras, which are typically 1/2.3". Along with the larger aperture opening in the lens, the G16 is generally quicker to focus and allow higher shutter speeds to reduce blur than the SX series. But the cost can be as much as $400. It's also on the large side. A pocket version would be the Canon PowerShot S120, which runs up to $350. Roughly the same specifications as the G16, but without as many external controls, so it's very portable.

Most of the newer models of PowerShot cameras have a Kid's and Pets setting in the scene modes. If you don't see that, than using a sports mode should suffice since the mode sets a faster shutter to freeze the active scene better. There are not as many compact cameras to select from anymore with the camera companies moving away from small sensor compact point and shoots to high end large sensor enthusiast cameras costing many more hundreds of dollars. I'm sure that with a budget to work with there will be many fine suggestions from the people on this forum.

Steve M.

Thank you so much for responding.  I had a feeling I would be overlooked.  I will check out the ones you suggested.  $400 would be at the top of my price range.  I don't want to spend a lot on something that my children may drop and break.  My oldest was/is easy on stuff but her younger sister is quite the opposite.  I wish I knew what the camera was called that I returned.  There was not a sports mode or kid's mode......unfortunately.  I even read the instruction book...which I loathe.

Canon makes the PowerShot D30 waterproof camera that is pretty durable and tough. Can withstand extremes in temperature as well as drops from a few feet. And it can be used underwater. It's about $330, but the reviews are mixed. The SX410 got some nice reviews, and is about $200.00. Pretty much a point and shoot with a nice long zoom.

Steve M.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements