cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a power shot sx 40 HS & need info on using filters with this camera? Thanks ~

rainlily
Contributor

I have a power shot sx 40 & would like info on using filters with this camera?

Thanks ~

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

smack53
Mentor

Hi Rainlily,

You will need the Canon Filter Adapter model #FA-DC67A to use filters on that camera, which costs about $25.00. Bower makes one for about $9.00 that is available from B&H, and Bower products work well with Canon. That adapter uses 67mm filters. If you don't have any filters yet, I would recommend the Hoya or Tiffen filters as they are higher quality at reasonable prices. Don't get the real cheap filters as they typically can cause color casts that can be hard to post process out. Have fun!

Steve M.

View solution in original post

B&H is a photo store in New York City. They have a very large selection of just about anything you need for photography and video. Just Google B&H and you should be able to find them readily. They have very good prices and great service. I have used them for a few purchases and have not had any problems with them.

I do not have the SX40 HS, but I have the Canon SX150 IS, the PowerShot G12, and the PowerShot A510. I also own a Fuji A805, and a Nikon D3100 DSLR. I understand the SX40 HS is a nice camera and should serve you well. My SX150 is surprisingly good for many of the shots I take, and the SX40 is a step up from that. To get the most out of the SX series of cameras, you should try to learn as much about manual operation of the camera as possible. While the automatic mode is acceptable, the manual modes allow you to get the shot the way you want it to come out. The thing I really like about the Canon PowerShot SX cameras are that you have all the manual controls that are found on DSLR's, but at a fraction of the cost. It's a great camera to learn on.

Steve M.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

smack53
Mentor

Hi Rainlily,

You will need the Canon Filter Adapter model #FA-DC67A to use filters on that camera, which costs about $25.00. Bower makes one for about $9.00 that is available from B&H, and Bower products work well with Canon. That adapter uses 67mm filters. If you don't have any filters yet, I would recommend the Hoya or Tiffen filters as they are higher quality at reasonable prices. Don't get the real cheap filters as they typically can cause color casts that can be hard to post process out. Have fun!

Steve M.

Thank you so much~I just have not been able to find info on this not even in the manual. By the way what is B&H?  Sorry, I am learning. Do you have this camera?

B&H is a photo store in New York City. They have a very large selection of just about anything you need for photography and video. Just Google B&H and you should be able to find them readily. They have very good prices and great service. I have used them for a few purchases and have not had any problems with them.

I do not have the SX40 HS, but I have the Canon SX150 IS, the PowerShot G12, and the PowerShot A510. I also own a Fuji A805, and a Nikon D3100 DSLR. I understand the SX40 HS is a nice camera and should serve you well. My SX150 is surprisingly good for many of the shots I take, and the SX40 is a step up from that. To get the most out of the SX series of cameras, you should try to learn as much about manual operation of the camera as possible. While the automatic mode is acceptable, the manual modes allow you to get the shot the way you want it to come out. The thing I really like about the Canon PowerShot SX cameras are that you have all the manual controls that are found on DSLR's, but at a fraction of the cost. It's a great camera to learn on.

Steve M.

Thank You Smiley Happy

Announcements