cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a Cannon SX100 IS. On a recent trip (50+ shots/ day) the camera often needed new batteries.

Steve10909
Apprentice

I have an SX 100 IS.  I love the camera, but on a recent trip with a lot of camera use (50+) shots per day the camera wanted the btteries changed daily.  Is there a setting that minimizes power draw?

3 REPLIES 3

cicopo
Elite

The LCD is the big power user so the more you use it the faster the batteries get weak. Do you use it too much? Also can you turn the brightness down? If it has a conventional viewfinder use it instead of the LCD & have the review setting set to 2 or 3 seconds. How about the sleep mode setting? Can you set it to about a minute or so?

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

WahoGT
Enthusiast

What batteries are you using?  I use NiMH rechargeables in my flashes and p&s cameras and they're great.  They're more expensive up front, but will save a lot of hassle along the way.  Wal-Mart has Energizer brand, with a 15-minute quick charger that runs on AC or a car outlet.  From Canon (see below) just changing they type of batteries from Alkaline to NiMH rechargeables almost triples your estimated shooting capacity.

From Canon USA:

Shooting CapacityStill Image: approx. 140 shots (AA-size Alkaline Battery), approx. 400 shots (AA-size Ni-MH Battery) *

Ideally you'd use a higher end charger that charges each individual battery separately (Maha makes some nice ones), as quick chargers aren't great for the longevity of your batteries, but worst-case-scenario you'll have to replace them like once a year if you do a lot of recharges.

As far as power saving goes, are you taking a lot of flash shots?  That will eat up batteries much quicker than daylight shots. Spend as little time as possible going back through your shots and admiring them on the camera.  The LCD is a big battery eater as well (as previously mentioned).  You may be able to turn down the review time that the camera displays photos after you take them as well.  Lets say it's on 5 seconds and you change it to 2 seconds.... that's a savings of over 2.5x right there.  You can also have the camera sleep quicker if you happen to leave the power switch ON.  I usually set mine to 1 minute.  They usually wake up with a quick tap of the shutter button, so you probably won't miss anything by doing this.

WahoGT

I was not using rechargeable batteries I was using Duracell alkaline,  (I'll look for rechargeable.) I had always assumed the major power draw was from the zoom moving in and out.  I did not realize that the LCD screen was also a power eater.  I'll follow up on your suggestions for cutting back the review time.

Thanks for the advice.

Steve

Announcements