cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I cannot operate the camera because the "Change the Batteries" error message constantly appears.

StanB
Apprentice

9 REPLIES 9

John_
Authority

Which model camera do you have?

How old are your batteries and are you sure the battery compartment door is closing properly not damaged or  the inside of the battery compartment has corrosion inside ?

Tiffany

Hi StanB!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know exactly what model camera you're using.  Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue.

Thanks and have a great day!

The camera is a Canon PowerShot S2 IS.  It is many years old and has progressly gotten worse with regard to powering up.  Presently I can only review the pictures that I have taken previously in the viewfinder or the LED screen.  I cannot take new pictures.  I have done all the usual things like cleaning the battery terminals, putting in freshly charged NiMH or even brand new ones that are charged.  Nothing seems to work.

well thats not good news it sounds like a component inside has failed, let me see if i can find any other info that might help outside of repair which would be more than your camera is worth right now. I still have and use my old S5IS. That series of cameras is a good series.

John - Would appreciate any suggestions you can offer.  It is very frustrating.  Thanks.

I have the service manual for the S5IS and it is probably very similar in design to the S2...besides the obvious things you have tried it looks like there is a problem on the dc to dc board whereas it is not sensing the correct battery voltage.  if you had the ac adapter that would narrow it down some but agan it would be an internal repair. Wish i had better news for you but it looks like it is an internal problem if it is not the batteries themselves.

Have you tried cleaning the battery contacts both on the battery AND on the camera.... they could have become tarnished causing the connection to become 'resistive' and not allowing the full current to flow.

It could be they need 'sprising' out a little to make better contact..... having said that insert the battery and see if you can apply a little more pressure to them whilst the camera is powered up.

This ought to have been the first suggestion.

Edit:

If you are using rechargeable try replacements because they may wear out over time, Nicads especially these have mempry problem's should you keep recharging them above a certain 'terminal voltage'.

Also rechargeable batteries have a slightly lower voltage than 'primary' non-rechargeable batteries... so an idea here would be to try some non-rechargeables.

Dave

Hi John:

As you suggested, I used my AC adapter and it power up the camera just fine.  There was even a brief time when I removed AC adapter and was able to power up on batteries.  This did not last long however.  Does this confirm your suspicion that it is a "dc to dc board" problem which does not allow the camera to sense the correct battery voltage.   

I assume there is no opportunity to reinstall the firmware in this rather obsolete camera, right?

The "loyalty program" that Canon has will allow me to trade mine in for a refurbished SX40 HS camera for $275.  Not such a great deal, in my opinion. 

Please give me your comments and thanks for your time.

StanB 

Yes thank you for that extra info..do you use that ac adapter a lot? there is a slight chance from what you said that the contact in the dc in jack may be causing a drain on the battery, essentialy grounding or in your case partially grounding out the battery. Try inserting that plug multiple times maybe that will correct it. Use an electrical contact cleaner spray available locally, radio shack maybe and other places.I am going to send you 2 things from the manual one is a diagram of tha dc input jack (DC IN) and one is a troubleshooting chart which shows you what internally could be wrong.

Capture2.JPG

Capture.JPG

I dont think it is a fuse because it would never turn on at all with the battery as in your case.

Your best hope is to work with that DC IN jack an see if by using some contact cleaner and inserting the dc plug in and out it cures it.

Announcements