cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I bought a new sx170is camera. Can't get pictures to rotate

glow
Contributor

I bought a new sx170is camera and we just got new computer with 8.1.  Canon helped me download the zoombrowser software.  When I take pictures and rotate them, there is no place to save them and when I transfer them they are not rotated.

9 REPLIES 9

smack53
Mentor

Rotating the photos in the ZoomBrowser software automatically saves it. If you want to save it under a different name, then double click on the picture. Once it opens up, you can then go the File Save As and give it a new name.

As far as the photos being downloaded, make sure the camera has the auto-rotate feature enabled. Press the menu button and scroll through on the left most tab to see that the auto rotate is not off.

Steve M.

Thank you for the information, Steve.  I've done all that and it is still not staying rotated when I do as you suggested.  My computer is now 8.1.  When the Canon rep helped me on Friday, he walked me thru and although he knew I had 8.1, there was no option for that, but he knew that and had me click on the Windows 7.  Could that possible be the issue.  Also, I transfer all my photos from zoombrowser on my FTP, and then test it on a mock ebay auction and see that it hasn't stayed rotated.  In the zoombrower, when I rotate it and before I exit, I can see it is rotated, as I want it.  Thanks for any insight!

Once you have them on your computer you can rotate them with Winows Photo viewer and save them that way in the orientation you want.

With the zoombrowser, there are two ways to rotate the image.On the top portion, there are the two 90 degree rotations and the 180 degree rotation, but make sure you are selecting the bottom option to rotate the actual photo and not just for the browser.

Steve M.

I tried doing as you suggested, but when I do it, I get the following message.....Access is denied.  Please check access permissions and ensure the file is not in use.  How do I deal with this message?  Thank you so much.

The files are usually protected when you get that message. Right mouse click on the photos that won't rotate and make sure the protect option near the bottom is not checked. If it is, click on the protect to unprotect the file. It should work then.

Steve M.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your help in this.  The pictures are unprotected, so that didn't work.  Any other ideas as what it might be?  Thank you!  Glow

Glow,

I'm running out of options for this. Did you check if the photo is read only from the Windows software? If it is, you will need to uncheck the read only box under the properties dialog box (after you right mouse click on the file). You may be on to something when you mentioned Windows 8.1. I have not had this issue with the Windows 7 that I'm running, so I'm a bit perplexed at the moment.

Steve M.

Hi,

Thanks for all your suggestions.  The computer guy that transferred all my information from windows XP seems to think that Zoom Browser is not compatible with 8.1.  The person from Canon who helped us download the zb software was aware that we had 8.1, but still had us check the 7 box, and seemed to think it would be fine.  So, at this point, I think maybe I should try to figure out how to turn the pictures correctly in the camera itself.  Is there anywhere I can go to find the instructions for that, and do you think it would work once I download them, if I can turn them in the camera itself before I download?  Thanks, Gloria

Announcements