cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to recover unreadable photos in the SD card

pocus
Contributor

The camera shows questions for some of the JPG photos on the SD card without any reason. DPP 4 cannot edit them, either. However I can see the photos in Windows 7 Photo Gallery and can edit them in Photoshop. How can I recover these photos, so that the G5X m2 can read them?

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

You cannot.  The camera will only see image files that it writes.  I strongly recommend that you copy the files off of the card to your computer before you lose them permanently. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you! I have another question, though. In PSAM mode when I move the zoom lever the camera shows 5/10/15/20 cm to infinity, but I cannot see the actual focal distance, which all other cameras show, respectively 24/30/35/50/100 mm focal distance. How can I translate those centimeters to focal distance of the lens?

@pocus wrote:

Thank you! I have another question, though. In PSAM mode when I move the zoom lever the camera shows 5/10/15/20 cm to infinity, but I cannot see the actual focal distance, which all other cameras show, respectively 24/30/35/50/100 mm focal distance. How can I translate those centimeters to focal distance of the lens?

Those numbers, "24/30/35/50/100 mm" are 35mm equivalent focal lengths, not focus distances.  Do you know how far 100mm is in inches?  It is equivalent to just under 4 inches.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

Those numbers, "24/30/35/50/100 mm" are 35mm equivalent focal lengths, not focus distances.  Do you know how far 100mm is in inches?  It is equivalent to just under 4 inches.  

Thank you for your reply, I do not use inches, only centimeters. In PSAM and C modes I can see the screen below by moving the zoom lever. I am at 15 cm. Please tell me the focal distance of the 8.8 to 44 mm lens at this position. What does 15cm to infinity mean to me? What is the DoF at f-stops 1.8, 8 and 11 at 15cm to infinity? I am totally confused.

20200917_172209.jpg

mrbensteele
Contributor
An odd solution but it has worked well with my canon cams and sony. First, windows explorer has an issue reading cards sometimes, my work around was to use an OTG cord and a usb card reader. Cards that were corrupt on pc were just fine when opened on my phone's, I then transferred them off and they were fine to move to pc or upload. If my Raw files were the issue I used a converter to convert them to full no loss JPEG. I find it always a smart idea to keep an OTG cord and card reader with my cameras. Hope this helps, if for any reason, it's just good to have anyways.
Announcements