cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get complete white background in pictures

evonna_21
Contributor

I have a canon sx520 camera. I have tried multiple settings, turn the flash off but yet my pictures always seem to have a grey background. I'm trying to take pictures of products without having to edit each one in photoshop. I have two 100 Watt photography lights, softbox, tripod, photography soft lights. I have tried it without a softbox and still my pictures have a grey background. Do I need an extra light, maybe a flash. This is my first camera and really want to put it to good use.  How do I get a white crisp background of my object and it not be so dark. Also, when I try to take a picture on my tripod. The letters on my book are a little blurry. I've tried manual, auto, p, and having bad luck taking photos of products. 

IMG_0265[1].JPG

11 REPLIES 11

I doubt that you need more light but even lighting is the key. Also a more "in front" of the subject positioning of the camera would be good but check for reflections from the subject too. I've photographed lots of old photos from family members over the years to make copies, fix flaws etc & most of the time I've done it outside in daylight but not full sun using nothing more than a clip board & tripod.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

"I have a canon sx520 camera. I have tried multiple settings, turn the flash off but yet my pictures always seem to have a grey background. I'm trying to take pictures of products without having to edit each one in photoshop."

If you want truly professional looking photos, I suggest that you do take the time to tweak each one.  There is no substitute for meticulous, hard work.

1.  To correct for the grey background, you need to either overexpose, as already suggested, or you need to use a custom white balance, as measured by a grey card.  Photohop can easily apply the same custom WB setting to different files.

2.  To correct the focus issue, and get the entire product in focus, I would propose photographing the book at a more perpendicular angle, so that the entire front of the book is parallel to the image sensor.  Photo stacking is an option if you really need the shots to be at an angle, but that is considerably more work.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements