cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you change the internal battery on a G11?

pauldermen
Apprentice

How do you change the internal battery on a G11?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Found this:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/2877144

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

Sub-battery MS lithium secondary battery MS614
Charging Time Approx. 4 hours (charged from the main battery)
Duration Life Approx. 3 weeks (after the sub-battery is fully charged and the main battery is
removed.)

That battery is located on the battery box inside your camera and it is no easy task to remove and replace if it will not hold a charge according to the specifications.

2nd battery G11.JPG

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Its not user replaceable. It gets its charge from the main battery and is only there to hold settings when main battery is removed.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

pauldermen
Apprentice
oh i see. any idea why the time and date keeps resetting?

Found this:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/2877144

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Sub-battery MS lithium secondary battery MS614
Charging Time Approx. 4 hours (charged from the main battery)
Duration Life Approx. 3 weeks (after the sub-battery is fully charged and the main battery is
removed.)

That battery is located on the battery box inside your camera and it is no easy task to remove and replace if it will not hold a charge according to the specifications.

2nd battery G11.JPG

I left the battery in overnight and turned on the camera set the time and date, turn it off then back on, and it didn't save the time/date. So I am assuming the internal battery is bad....

can I just remove on the screws and will it come apart easily? or is there something tricky about it?

Yes it is very tricky to take that battery out which involves talking the whole camera apart, lots of tiny screws which have subtle but importnat differences lots of delicate connectors llots of hidden tiny parts that might fall out. As it goes with most attempts to take things apart, taking them apart is easier in most cases than putting them back together correctly.

You might wind up with a Canon G11 paperweight.

Have you tried a new main battery?

I would not even attempt it without the repair and service manual and once you see what you have to do to get at that battery you might reconsider...unless your willing to trash your camera completely.

The complete service/repair manual is available online for as little as $4.00

In addition it could be something involved with the charging of the battery from the main battery within the battery box.

I have enclosed a flow chart on how many steps it takes to get at the battery box. Each step is loaded with intricate details, pitfalls and procedures. Some steps like the LCD part might be able to be skipped but one never knows unless they've done it before. Also there might be some U Tube videos on it on how to take it apart

I would only attempt it after trying a new main battery, inspecting the battery box's contacts for dirt or debris and if I was willing to trash my G11 if I failed.

Perhaps get an estimate on a repair first then compare to used but good and working G11 prices on auction sites etc

Flow chart.JPG

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements