cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help in buying PowerShot camera

bshimoni
Apprentice

Hi

I need help to buy a compact digital camera with high quality stills and full HD video recording capabilities.

I found the following models: G15, S110, SX280 HS, SX260 HS.

which one should I choose? which one is better?

Best Regards,

Barak Shimoni 

6 REPLIES 6

tnicoson
Enthusiast

Barak,

I do not believe there is a "better", at least in the sense that you mean it, but there actually is a "better".  As a matter of fact, there is a "best", but the correct question is "Which one is "better" for you, and ultimately, which one is "best" for you ?  and ultimately, only you can answer that.  Each one of those cameras on your list was designed for a specific type of person with a specific purpose.  The best camera for you will be the one that fits your budget, fulfills most of your preferences/needs, and that you are most physically comfortable using.  You just need to ask yourself a list of questions:

1. What is your price range ?

2. What resolution do you want ? (How many megapixels ?)

3. Do you want a very small size or do your hands require a larger format with controls that are easier to access ?

4. Do you want a short, medium, long, or ultra long zoom lense ?

5. Do you want a built-in rechargeabe (usually overnight) battery or immediately replaceable AA batteries ?

6. Will you be taking mostly "goup" or "family" or "scenic" shots and need an extra wide angle lens ?

7. Will you be taking extreme close-ups and need good "macro" capabilities ?

8. Do you prefer the flat "pocket" format or the larger "grip" format that look like small DSLR's ?

9. Do you prefer an added eye-level range finder for when bright sunlight makes the LCD screen difficult to see ?

The list could go on an on, but this should give you a good start.  Once you have a vision of what type of pictures you will be taking (mostly) and what type of camera you need, try to avoid making trade-offs and compromises as much as possbile.  There is nothing worse than trying to take good photos with a camera you are just not comfortable or satisfied with.  Also, keep in mind, that there will be a learning curve with any of the cameras on your list.  Even low cost digital cameras have advanced capabilities, but you do not need to learn them all - all at once.  They all have a "full auto" mode that pretty much makes all the difficult decisions for you, so that you can just "point and shoot".  Then you can learn the advanced features at your leisure.  I strongly recommend that you visit a camera shop or camera department and try to acquaint yourself, as much as possible, with each of the cameras on your list before you make your decision.  Once you have narrowed your choices down to two or three, you can start looking into each one's reliability and user satisfaction, but you have to be careful about that.  With all the millions of units manufactured each year, there are going to be a few defects here and there, and the usual reaction is that that model or brand is nothing but a piece of junk, when usually that just is not so.  Just make your pruchase at a reputable dealer and register it with the manufacturer.

Best ot luck with your decision, and I hope you enjoy your new camera.

Regards,

Ted

Limmie
Enthusiast

Another person already posted why we need more information as to your requirements before making a recommendation.  As for the 280HS I would initially have recommended it for both high quality stills and pretty good video for a reasonable price, but I and many others have returned our 280s to the store because there is a still ongoing issue with the battery level indicator in video mode.  Canon has issued a firmware update that as far as they are concerned fixes the issue, but many of us have just seen it change the problem, not cure it.  I don't recall any posts about the same issue with the 260HS but that is an earlier model with an earlier processor.  I don't know its specifications offhand but since you say "full HD" then you are probably wanting the newest.

Powershots: A80, SD1300is, SX280 (returned)

CahabaGirl
Apprentice

I love my 5D Mark III, but my husband wants a simple point and shoot camera for himself.  I have been looking at both the Powershot G15 and G16 and have reviewed the specs on both and cannot find any appreciable differences.  Am I missing something?  Any recommendations for choosing one over the other?  Thank you in advance.  Love Canon products!

This might help here

Yes, Vetteran, that was most helpful!  Thank you for taking the time to post that for me.  I chose the G16.  🙂

You are most welcome.

Yes, the better choice. Smiley Happy

Shoot in RAW format and convert the files to.jpg using DPP,

you will get better images than using the camera's .jpg.

Announcements