Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Happy birthday with the SX270

englisch_niete
Apprentice

Hello employees from Canon,
hello Users,

first sorry for my bad english. But I'm from Germany and it's not my best foreign language.

Our son Pascal, today is his 14th birthday, wish a new camera for his hobby. We're not rich, so our budget is not open-end. In Germany the camera costs about 160 EUR (round about 220 USD) Our sons were reading tests and reviews, told us to buy this camera. He thougt it'll be too expensive, so today was a verry happy day, when he opened the present.

Now we're testing the camera. Very good. But then Canon crashed this day. We select the video mode. After 3:30 minutes the camera shut down. Thomas, our older son, told us, that for this bug there is a firmewareupdate and in the magazine they told, that this will fix the bug. So I checked the Firmware: It is the latest!

So we'll send the camera back to the dealer. Now our son is very sad about this at his birthday.

How long is this camera sold and why don't you fix this problem? We paid for that, so you have to produce functional products. Why are you cheating your consumer?

I look forward to hearing from you, Canon.

Yours faithfully,
Jan

7 REPLIES 7

Stephen

Hi Jan!

Welcome to The Canon Forums, and thank you for your inquiry!

We appreciate your participation, however we wanted to let you know that your product is a model that is not supported by our team here at Canon USA.

The Canon Forum is hosted and moderated within the United States by Canon USA. We are only able to provide support for Canon products manufactured for and used within the US market.

If you live outside the United States, please CLICK HERE and select your country or region for your support needs.

Please feel free to discuss Canon products sold outside of the United States, but be aware that you will not receive support directly from Canon USA.

Our camera is produced in malaysia. And I don't think that the production is based on the dedication. Or did the manufacturer stop the production and tell the employees: "The production für the US market is over, now we'll producing malfunctioning cameras for the bloody germans."

Look at amazon(.com) or .de. Look at this board. Your customers have the same problems. All over the world. Thats not a surprising, cause the firmware is the same. And that's the reason I'm writing on this board. When you have problems with a product, you'll never have luck when you write the retailer like Canon Germany. They have no influence. Read the german boards, what happens when you tell that the retailer. At the best, they send you another buggy camera. They have no own programmers. Where do you think the engeneers and programmers for a BMW or Mercedes coming from?

Only Canon US can fix that bug. So I think this board is the correct one.

Hi Jan,

Canon is divided up into regions, and sometimes certain regions have different products. This is the case here. The PowerShot SX270 HS is not sold or marketed in the US at this point, so our technicians have no information about the firmware, or the operations of this model. That being said, you'll want to contact Canon in your region (Europe), and discuss the issues you're having with them. They can do further  troubleshooting to determine the exact issue you're having and help provide you with solutions from there.

Since we don't support this camera in the US, we can't offer any specific help to resolve your concerns.

Sorry Stephen,

but the SX270 is the same one like sx280. There is only no GPS and wlan-support. The rest is the same. Also the firmware. When you update the SX280, you automatically update the SX270. Look at the last firmwareupdate: Both models were updated simultaneously. Also the manual for both models is the same.

Look at your own board or at amazon.com reviews. Your customers have the same problems with this camera. Why don't you fix that and produce malfunctioning cameras furthermore? I don't understand that. It's not the quality I expected from this well known company.

Yours faithfully,
Jan

https://www.canon.de/Support/Consumer_Products/products/cameras/Digital_Compact/Powershot_SX_series/...

https://www.canon.de/Support/Consumer_Products/products/cameras/Digital_Compact/Powershot_SX_series/...

Come on Canon, do be honest with people!

Canon alleged a firmware repaired this problem, then many proved it hasn't, many have got their camera back from service with the same problem - do you call that fixed?

It is unfair that Canon is allowing this problem to continue, 'I' personally would take it back for a refund and look elsewhere. The Sony HX50 doesn't have this problem, it blows the SX270/SX280 out of the water comparing battery life, both stills and video, then there's the Panasonic TZ30/40 series they don't have that problem.

As for the SX270 this is the same camera except GPS and wi-fi.

David

Canon has cheated many SX280 customers before. Not to make you happy but you are not alone.

@Stephen,

Shame on you for posting a CYB response on the forum. It does not help Canon's image and further reinforces the perception that Canon wishes to wash their hands off this whole issue and not accept any responsibility for the problem.

Announcements