cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP: CameraWindow DC "Failed To Connect To The Server"

mcquillian
Apprentice

Just purchased a Powershot SX280 HS.  It is fantastic little camera.  I have been a Nikon guy for years, but this camera really has changed my mind.  I am having a challenge however.  I am unable to complete the camera setup through CameraWindow DC, as every time I try to "Set Up Web Services," and Log In, I get the message "Failed To Connect To The Server."  I am completely registered, and can log in and access Canon Image Gateway, as well as upload content.  WIFi tests out good, and I am able to connect from camera to both my iPhone and iPod.  Do you think the CIG server may be down on their end?  I am simply trying to complete setup so that I can get the Fscebook and Twitter interface on the Powershot.  Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I had the same problem with my ELPH 330 HS and called customer service yesterday. Here's what needed to happen to fix it:

1) In the "Canon" folder under "Program Files" that is created when you install the software, there is a subfolder called "WirelessCameraConnectionSetting". Within that folder is an exe file called "WirelessCameraConnectionSetting.exe".  Double click it and go through prompts, if any.

2) Make sure you've already created a user account on Canon's site.

3) Double-check that your camera is listed as registered under your user profile. I had registered my camera before creating my user account, and so even though I had received an email congratulating me on registering it, the camera was not associated with my user account and it needs to be in order for the "setup web access" through CameraWindow to work.  In fact, there's an "additional features" selection called something like "use Canon iMAGE Gateway" that needs to be checked on while registering so that you have established the camera and the ability to use it via the web with your user profile.

Once I'd done all that, it worked just fine. I responded about all this in my customer service feedback survey that they emailed me last night. So hopefully, they'll provide a packaging blow-in or a link on their site. But since I found this forum post by searching CameraWindow Failed To Connect To Server, I'm hoping that if nothing else, others will find this before needing to call themselves.

Hope it helped!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Mcquillian,

I'm sorry to hear of the difficulty you've encountered with the server connection for your PowerShot SX280 HS.  So we may better assist you with this connection, please contact us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I have exactly the same issue but I am using the Elph 330 HS.

Was there a resolution to this?

Tim.

Same problem here, any resolution?

It's not Internet connection as when I enter the wrong credentials I get a different error saying my pw is wrong, and when the correct credentials are entered I get the "failed to connect to server error"

This is super annoying as the whole reason I purchased this camera was for the WIFi feature. There is no way to get around "CameraWindow", apparently. Very disappointed. My other cameras are great for offline photography.

I had the same problem with my ELPH 330 HS and called customer service yesterday. Here's what needed to happen to fix it:

1) In the "Canon" folder under "Program Files" that is created when you install the software, there is a subfolder called "WirelessCameraConnectionSetting". Within that folder is an exe file called "WirelessCameraConnectionSetting.exe".  Double click it and go through prompts, if any.

2) Make sure you've already created a user account on Canon's site.

3) Double-check that your camera is listed as registered under your user profile. I had registered my camera before creating my user account, and so even though I had received an email congratulating me on registering it, the camera was not associated with my user account and it needs to be in order for the "setup web access" through CameraWindow to work.  In fact, there's an "additional features" selection called something like "use Canon iMAGE Gateway" that needs to be checked on while registering so that you have established the camera and the ability to use it via the web with your user profile.

Once I'd done all that, it worked just fine. I responded about all this in my customer service feedback survey that they emailed me last night. So hopefully, they'll provide a packaging blow-in or a link on their site. But since I found this forum post by searching CameraWindow Failed To Connect To Server, I'm hoping that if nothing else, others will find this before needing to call themselves.

Hope it helped!

Worked perfectly. Thank you for taking the time to respond. Like you said, there is nothing about this problem on the web. Canon should provide this solution in their support forum, but it's really hard to get them to help. Thanks Again!

Awesome! Very glad to hear it! Smiley Very Happy

How about us Mac users?? 

.exe file doens't help me.  I'm having same issue.

Still not working.

Registered with the Canon Site.  Can login to Canon Image Gateway from the browser.

Canon image gateway is checked and my registered camera is listed.

Ran the exe file on my computer and it says it is set.

When I open CameraWindow DC and choose setup web services it prompts me for my login to Image Gateway.

I enter my login info and immediately get "Can not connect to Server".

Any suggestions?

Announcements