cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HDR in the G7X

altopiet
Contributor

Hi, coming from my DSLR HDR function to the G7X, I'm a bit disappointed to say the least.

The HDR function in "Natural" setting seems to make no diffirence in HDR scenes. Going into the various Art options you get something going, but the saturation of the colours in those settings are not my cup of tea.

Would it be possible for Canon to give more options regarding how many stops ( at least -3 to +3) one can pick in the natural setting, via a firmware update?

Christo
15 REPLIES 15

smack53
Mentor

I had the same issue with the G12, so instead of using the HDR mode, I used the Exposure Bracketing in the Tv mode (can also be set in the Av and P modes). I then import into Photoshop to do the HDR and get better results that way. Generally I just shoot in RAW and recover most of the lost details that way.

Steve M.

Hi Steve, thanks for the reply... I know about bracketing... I'm trying to spend more time shooting and trying to get the best possible results OOC, as I found that PP took too much of my time as a hobby.

I got the G7X for fun and lets say in the pocket, always handy camera that's bettter than a mobile phone; but I must say as far as HDR is concerned my mobile does a better job than a quite expensive G7X.

It is not that I use the function that often, but would expect better results than what I get now. I still use my DSLR for more serious shooting...

Christo

It is amazing that even though the potential for better HDR photos should be the G7X, the plethora of apps for phones just make it so much quicker and easier to do on the fly with the phone. No wonder camera sales keep slipping!

Agree with you all.

Canon should put additional options in the HDR sub-menu where users can select the type of HDR they are wanting. The options might include HDR modes that are used by HDR software like Photomatix or others. Hope Canon will include such HDR modes in the next version of G7X firmware.Tx.

I'm new to Canon / serious digital photography: does Canon usually update camera functionality with firmware updates?  I've a new G7 X, and it seems to have the original firmware installed (and I don't see any updates on Canon's web site).  If this were PC software, we'd probably have the first "bug fix" patch by now.  Smiley Tongue

danDiem
Contributor
On DSLR Canon releases firmware updates. However, for P&S camera like S95, ixus, etc, there is a freeware CHDK where users can tweak their cameras to allow wider range of operations, e.g. longer duration of taking the scenes, etc. Hopefully the CHDK for G7X will address the high demand for HDR, if the G7X firmware cannot be updated. Tx

altopiet
Contributor
That option will also be acceptable if they don't want to do a firmware update. I really like the little camera, it's always in my pocket 🙂
Christo

danDiem
Contributor

Auto Exposure Bracketing (AEB) on Canon G7X will take 3 pictures simultaneously at  different exposures default set at  -1, 0, +1.  To allow more than these three pictures, just rotate the exposure dial so it will read someting like -4, -3, -2 (with the initian 0 set to -3, take another shutter release button)  , then rotate the dial to +3 , to get other 3 pictures at +2, +3, +4 exposures.  By using this method then we get 9 pictures at exposure levels -4,-3,-2,-1,0,+1,+2,+3,+4. 

When we get these 9 pictures with different exposure levels, we can use DPP to generate HDR (which needs only 3 pics at a processing).  Note that DPP 4.X does not work on RAW from G7X. You should download previous version of DPP,available at Canon USA website for free (I think this is in a bundle of Utilities or something, but not written asDPP).

Hope this will generate the HDR you are looking for. If not, then go back toPhotomatix....;-)). Tx

Hi, have you read message #3?Smiley Happy

Christo
Announcements