cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Geotagging with the G5X mark ii

camner
Apprentice

I was able to get "as you go" geotagging set up and working via bluetooth. By this method, the camera tags the images as they are taken, using the location info from my iPhone (after downloading and setting up the Canon Connect app and establishing a Bluetooth connection between the iPhone and the G5X.  The only problem with this method is that if I turn off the camera and/or or put my phone to sleep, I have manually turn on my phone each time I use the camera, and wait for the bluetooth connection to reset.  This is cumbersome, at best.

A second way should be to turn on the "begin logging" switch in Canon Connect, go about taking pictures, connect the iPhone to the G5X via WiFi, and then click the "Send location information" button.  BUT, when I do this, I get the message "This function cannot be used with the currently connect camera."

It is really possible that the Canon Connect app doesn't yet support the G5X for sending GPS info via WiFi?

9 REPLIES 9

Nick2020
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi camner!

Thanks for checking in about the wireless capabilities of your PowerShot G5X Mark II.

For your camera, you will need to use Bluetooth to geotag your images. Camera Connect is designed to work with a variety of cameras, but the Wi-Fi option won't work with your camera.

Thanks for the quick reply; I appreciate it.

A couple of followup questions:

1. If geotagging is only supported via Bluetooth, is there any point to having the "Confirm whether to send location information when connected to camera via WiFi" swith turned on?  I would think I could leave it off.
  2. On the Location Information screen, do I need to turn the "Begin logging" switch to ON if I am using Bluetooth to do the geotagging?
  3. Since the camera connects automatically (via Bluetooth) to my phone when I turn the camera on (once it has been paired with the phone), why doesn't the geotagging just start up automatically, rather than requiring me to get my phone out and go back to the Canon Connnect app?  I have Canon Connect set in Location Services on the iPhone to "always," which means it should be able to continuously provide the geotagging info, no?

Hi Camner,

Thank you for your reply.

When connected via Bluetooth, you'll need to end the Wi-Fi connection. When you go to GPS settings, in the Settings menu (Wrench icon), choose "GPS via mobile" and enable this setting. Once you've got a Bluetooth connection between your camera and phone (with location service enabled), the images you shoot will be geotagged.

The "Logging" option isn't required for geo tagging. It updates the location continuously, even if you're not moving.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks for your reply.  This clears up my questions #1 and #2.

But I think it doesn't deal with my question #3:

Since the camera connects automatically (via Bluetooth) to my phone when I turn the camera on (once it has been paired with the phone), why doesn't the geotagging just start up automatically, rather than requiring me to get my phone out and go back to the Canon Connnect app?  I have Canon Connect set in Location Services on the iPhone to "always," which means it should be able to continuously provide the geotagging info, no?

What I'm finding is that although the bluetooth connection between the phone and camera reestablishes itself when I turn on the camera, the GPS icon on the display flashes and does not stop flashing, indicating that no geotagging is going to be done. What I then have to do is to get my iPhone and activate the Canon Connect app, and then the GPS symbol stops flashing and geotagging occurs.

What's frustrating is that I have to haul out my phone and reactivate Canon Connect EACH TIME I turn off my camera back on after it has been off for a while  (if the camera is only off a very short time, then I don't have to do this).  

Is there any way around this?

Hello camner, 

We understand and apologize that it's been something frustrating to work around.  The decisions for incorporating functions and camera operations are made by our engineers in Japan well before their release to the US market.  In some situations, based on a number of factors including customer feedback, firmware releases in addition to updates to our software can address certain issues.  While I am not aware of a work around at this time, nor firmware, that would change this particular aspect of the operation.  I sincerely regret any inconvenience that this may cause you. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Dear Tim,

am I right that I can only tag jpgs, not CR3-Raws by this method?

I found nothing on this in the manual.

Thnx

Djordschi

No, that's not correct. The Canon software will tag RAW files as well as JPEGs. I only shoot RAW, and I use the Canon app on my phone to do that.

As I wrote above, there are some frustrations with that method, but it does work, just not as well as it should.

Yes, you're right, thanks! Finally I found the coordinates in the RAW-files when opening them in DPP 4 (which usually I don't use), then in PhotoMechanic, then in FastRAWViewer. I was irritated, because XNView MP doesn't show them in the RAW-files, but does in the jpgs - and in the DNGs. So everything's fine now! 😉

Hello

I understood that I need to connect bluetooth of my G5X mark2 to the smartphone bluetooth in order to get GPS on each photo that I take.

Lately I am using the canon tripod HG-100TBR, thats needs to connect to G5X, otherwise it doesnt work. What is the solution of Canon to let me use the tripod and the smartphone GPS at the same time?

Regards

Luis

Announcements