cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GX7 turns off during long video shoot

nantucketbob
Apprentice

Why does the GX7 turn itself off during a long video shoot? I set the camera on a tripod and turned on the video.  It turned itself off after 15 minutes.  Battery was OK. 

10 REPLIES 10

jazzman1
Rising Star

Is the camera you're talking about a Panasonic or Canon???   Cannon  has a G7X.   If it's a panasonic (which has a GX7), it may be why you have'nt gotton any responses.  This is a Canon site.

Canon.  I think I know the problem.  I will reply again if it does not work.  thanks. 

thumbs up  Smiley Wink

valdisd
Apprentice

So what was the problem?

I'm having the same issue.

nantucketbob
Apprentice

I sent the camera in for repair; they sent me a new refurbished unit.

That one had problems, also. 

I was concerned that the short warranty period would expire and another problem occur, so I traded it.

My dealer, Hunt's, is really, really good, partly because Canon is so cooperative with them.

I bought a Sony RX100 4.  It is clunky, strange behaviors.  I don't like it, but the images are good with its new sensor.

I will sell it and buy another Canon.  Upgrading to a new camera from my S95 has been a nightmare.

DSLRs have inherent limitations on the video files that they create.  They cannot create files that exceed 29:59 in length, without the device being classified as a camcorder, which brings import tariffs and taxes into the picture in some countries.  Also, the file system that they use cannot create files in excess of 4 GB.

Your Canon DSLR can get very warm during extended use of Live View, or video shooting.  As explained in the manual, this can cause the unit to shut down Video or Live View Mode.  The camera should then be turned off, and allowed to cool before you should continue shooting video.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I think 5 minutes is a bit short a shooting time befor the camera turns itself off.  They sent me a refurbished model anyway, and that had an acceptable shooting time (video).  So I think something was wrong with my first, original camera. 

But that one died, also.  I did not state that in the post above.  Canon sent me a 2nd replacement.

The 2nd replacement began acting funky, clunky, slow, and more, so I was allowed to turn it in and buy a more expensive Sony.  I was surprised that the Canon GX7 was not robust.  My older S95 is certainly rugged enough. 

The Sony is also acting funky, clunky, slow, and more.  I don't expect it to behave like my Canon 5D, but it is unacceptable. 

What I really want is a very current replacement for my S95, just an improvement in speed, and a better sensor.

(I am awaiting the release of the Caon 5D M4, impatiently.)

The following is from the EOS 5D Mark III Instruction Manual.....specifications which are common to all DSLRs.

Video_Shooting_Time_Limit.PNG

Please take note of the highlighted line, which is the most common setting used for recording video.  Video will consume nearly 700 MB per minute, which means 3.5 GB for every five minutes of video, which means you have nearly hit the 4 GB file limit.....in just over 5 minutes.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Is there any workaround for this? I bought these for the low light video capabilites and I guess I didn't realize anyone would put a limit on the recording time. I can't have them turning off after 29 minutes. 

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements