cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G9X mark II: half-pressing shutter not working

kv2
Apprentice

Hi, i hope you guys can chime in if this is a hardware issue. I had my camera for over a year now and it has worked fine until recently. I took it on a trip and noticed early on that when I try and focus on objects by half-pressing the shutter button, it doesn't do anything. There is no response so i gradually press harder until it just ends up taking the photo.

Once in a while it will auto-focus meaning the half-press works again but I would say 7/10 times it doesn't work. Is the button just messed up?

3 REPLIES 3

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Kv2

Thanks for posting.

Based on your description, your camera will require repair. You may set up the repair of your camera at this site: https://www.usa.canon.com/repair. When accessing our site, we recommend the use of updated versions of the Chrome or Firefox browsers.

Once on our site, click on "Request Product Repair". On the next page, begin entering your camera's model, then select the appropriate model, when it appears below. Next, fill in the information on this page, and those

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

OK i thought this was a free warranty repair from Canon...

but apparently it isn't. Am I supposed to pay $260 to repair a shutter button defect for a $430 camera 14 months old?

John_
Authority

Yes, I would say the shutter button or the flexible printed circuit board underneath the shutter button is at fault. As you noted the repairs on these cameras are expensive which is why I always get an extended warranty for insurance. If there is a remote shutter release port on your camera you can use that for now but I do not think that model has one. From what I know you can use the software or a smartphone to remotely shoot. 

Announcements