cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G7X video stabilizer does not work as expected

andreasfcb
Apprentice

Hey all

I have bought Canon G7X because I would like to make simple, but quality videos filmed from my hand. Unfortunately, I have huge problems with the quality.

All videos are terribly shaky. I have checked that the stabilizer seems to be active. Of course I admit that my hands are not perfectly still.

I am used to make videos from my iPhone 6S and Canon 60D, and I never experienced problems like this. I even tried the iPhone video function beside my Canon G7X and it stabilizes way better.

Is this to be expected?

I am happy with the photo and video quality, but I think stabilization should be at least on par with a mobile phone...

5 REPLIES 5

cicopo
Elite

You're comparing 2 very different types of camera. What is the effective lens length of the phone & how does that compare to the new camera? IF the phone was say the equavelent of a 50 mm lens & you set the Canon at 100 mm an identical amount of camera shake will have a more dramatic effect on the Canon Video. As you increase magnification shake effect goes up.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

I tried both cameras in comparable situations.

Usually, an image stabilizer changes shaking into smooth transition. If I look at the iPhone movie, that happens. My G7X is probably stabilized as well, but you can see a lot of quick shaking (from the hands).

When I upload the G7X videos to YouTube and stabilize it using their scripts, it looks ok again. Obviously, I don't want to upload every video to YouTube or run it through a computer software to be more stable.

Comparable or at similar magnification.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Comparable situation = make the videos look the same.

Minimal zoom (around 2x at G7X) so that the same is seen on the resulting output video from the camera/phone.

@cicopo wrote:

You're comparing 2 very different types of camera. What is the effective lens length of the phone & how does that compare to the new camera? IF the phone was say the equavelent of a 50 mm lens & you set the Canon at 100 mm an identical amount of camera shake will have a more dramatic effect on the Canon Video. As you increase magnification shake effect goes up.

So far I have found approximatoins that say an Iphone 4s has a 3.85mm lens, which is a 37mm equivalent.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements