cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G7X to PC Transfer Broke CANON iMAGE GATEWAY Discontinued

pdommer
Contributor

Ever since the CANON iMAGE GATEWAY was discontinued on 31MAR2020 I can't transfer photos to my Win PC.

The error message on the G7X is "Error detected on server Try again later."

Will transfers ever work again like they did before?

I understand that CANON iMAGE GATEWAY is being replaced by image.canon and that doesn't go live until 14APR2020 but will the G7x know to use that instead of CANON iMAGE GATEWAY?

6 REPLIES 6

Mark35mmF2
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hey there pdommer,

Yes, when image.canon launches it should include the same functionality which was previously offered by the Canon Image Gateway but in the meantime you should still be able to transfer your photos and videos through the Windows File Explorer via USB.

Image.Canon is now online and as I feared doesn't work with the Canon Image Transfer Utility Software. My guess is the Utility Soiftware is hardwired to connect to the Canon Image Gateway. Nowhere during the setup does it ask for a service to connect to. Ever since the Gateway was discontinued the Server Error message pops up when you try to download images from the camera to the local PC.

The Powershot G7X has a special button on it to transfer images to a local PC. This only works with the Image Transfer Utility Softwear on the PC paired with the G7X and Image Gateway.

Tim
Authority

hello pdommer, 

Thank you for your request.  At this time we're not able to confirm or disconfirm compatibility.  We'll need to check with our technical support engineering team on this.  We regret any inconvenience that this has caused you and thank you for your patience during this time. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Has technical engineering support supplied an answer, its been almost a month now?

Hello again,

Yes, all image transfer with your camera now goes through the image.canon service where it can be help for a short period of time and downloaded onto your computer. I have seen other users link the upload to their Microsoft OneDrive, Google Drive or Dropbox accounts for a more streamlined and automated import to the computer if you do not want to log in to your image.canon account every time you wish to pull the photos into your PC as well.

Thanks for the reply.

I see there are now more instructions on the image.canon site for connecting cameras. Unfortunately my G7X is no longer supported to upload images to this new Canon web service. Once again I'm left out in the cold with a Canon product. guess I'll try a Nikon next.

Announcements