cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G7X USB Connection Possible Fix. Still Need WiFi Help Please.

grahammacd
Apprentice

In composing a long "help me!" note, I found a possible solution for folks having difficulty connecting their G7X Mark II's via USB to their PC -- check your cable.

I had been trying with a USB cable that I used for my GoPro, which would charge the G7X, but wouldn't let Windows 10 discover the camera. Was about to call it quits, when I remembered I had another of the same cable that I had used for my previous HTC cellphone (it's a different physical cable, same connectors, that came with the cellphone). Tried that one and viola, Windows saw the camera instantly.

I've been working with computers for 15 years and honestly, that's probably the only time I've ever seen one cable work and the other not. And the other cable still works for the other camera. Very weird.

I still can't get the WiFi transfer solution to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. See description below:

Recently bought brand new G7X Mark II with Video Creator Kit (including 32GB SanDisk Class 10 SDHC Memory Card -- being used in this camera).

Snapped a few pictures and a video (maybe 3 min long) as tests and went to attempt to upload to my Windows 10 Pro x64 PC.

I first attempted to connect via the WiFi button on the side and went through the various screens. I was able to connect to my router via both WiFi, then on a separate time through WPS. In both instances the camera was visible on the network (under the Windows Network page), but I wasn't able to interact with the icon aside from it offering to show a webpage for the device (like a device-internal webpage the way routers have) which didn't exist once clicked.

During this process, the camera saw my specific computer on the network and I clicked to connect on the camera, which it was unable to do and ultimately timed out.

I also installed the "CanonDCS72W.exe" software for my operating system found on the Canon support page. This included the CameraWindow and "Wi-fi connection setup" programs. I ran both of these on several occasions. The CameraWindow software consistently says "Cannot detect camera. Check connection to camera, then retry." The Wi-fi connection software now says "Already set." if I try to install it again.

I'm at a loss with this. Like I said, I'm pretty good with computers and software, but this just doesn't seem to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Grahammacd,

Thank you for posting.

With regard to a USB cable, your camera accepts a micro-b to USB, cable. The micro-b is similart to, but incompatible with the mini-b connector.

For the Wi-Fi connection, I recommend taking a look at our video "Canon PowerShot G7X Mark II - Wireless Connection with a Windows Device". It will guide you, step-by-step, through the connection process. You may access it by clicking here.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I have the same exact problem with the Canon G7 X Mark II, so I need a  micro-b to USBcable???

Announcements