cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G7X Mark ii.. New user, Video looks pixelated help

Scott2436
Apprentice
Hi everyone, I have only owned my G7X Mark ii for a few days and I need some help. First, i only use video and it was the reason I purchased this camera. The footage it is producing of myself and family is amazingly good but my problem comes when shooting open vistas like a mountain range. The footage just doesn’t look good, the mountains look like they are shot in 720p or just not crisp like when I shoot things up close. I’m a noob so it could be something I’m doing. I tried auto focus and switch to manual focus thinking that it was a focus issue but that doesn’t seem to help. I tried full auto, different picture profiles and manual settings but it still looks pretty bad. I’m not zoomed in so I know it’s not some digital zoom thing but I shot the same scene with my iPhone 7 (1080) and it looked much better than the canon. Again I assume it’s something I’m doing wrong since the footage close up is so good. Any help would be greatly appreciated
9 REPLIES 9

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

There is nothing wrong with your camera.  It sounds like you are pixel peeping the images.  

Video frames do not have the resolution of still photos.  Photos of distant objects do not have the resolution, or appear as sharp, and photos of objects that close to the camera.  Try taking more still photos.  The secret to being good at shooting video is having a good understanding of shooting stills, and what is known as the Exposure Triangle and Depth-of-Field.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

mista808
Contributor

Did you ever figure out what the problem was?  I ask because I also have the G7X Mark II and I'm also a new user and my videos are very grainy.  To be honest the quality is almost as bad as videos on my cell phone and I don't exactly have a top of the line cell phone either.  It's just a crummy old LG Stylus that came out a good 6 years ago.  I'm almost worried that some how I have messed up the lense.  I've recorded a half dozen videos all using the "AUTO" settings (or at least I think  it's AUTO) since that's the setting I have the dial set to.  Every single video is grainy and it doesn't seem to matter of the lighting in the room or outside.  I didn't seem to have this issue with the very first few videos I recorded when I first purchased the camera.  But I've now had the camera for a year (barely used it during that time) and now  I'm actually wanting to finally figure out the camera so I can start using it way more frequently.  I'm nervous I some how messed up the lense but I'm hoping it's just some sort of  filter or option that I didn't realize was engaged.  I'm very new to photography.  I'd like to say that I'm great with understanding angles and what angles work best when taking photos, but as far as all the options when it comes to cameras settings that's something I've never understood.  

Hi Mista808,

Do you have any examples you can show? The lens would not affect graniness but there may be another setting being implemented in the automatic shooting mode that can change the look of the footage. For example, if the camera selects a high ISO (1000, 3200, or higher) you will likely get graininess and if that is the case you can moe the mode dial to "P" and manually adjust the ISO down to a better level.

was able to fix the graniness issue but I'm still having issues with a small white dot that is appearing in my videos when I'm recording in low light situations.  I found out with more expensive DSLR's there is a fix for this by doing the manual cleaning method but with these GX7 Mark II's apparently we have no way to fix this?

Hi,

how did you fix the grainy videos on your camera? I still have not found the solution

Evampire
Apprentice
Did you find any answer for the bouncing white dot? I’ve got the same thing in low light videos and noticed that YouTube vloggers with same camera also have it

@Evampire wrote:
Did you find any answer for the bouncing white dot? I’ve got the same thing in low light videos and noticed that YouTube vloggers with same camera also have it

It almost sounds like dirt/dust on the image sensor.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Evampire
Apprentice
I would understand that if it was just mine, however others have had this exact same moving white dot, in the same location in the video

Hello!

If you have an issue with your camera, and you're concerned that it's malfunctioning, we strongly encourage you to have it evaluated. 

To start the process, log into your My Canon Account and set up a repair. 

If you're outside of the United States, please reach out to Canon in your country or region for assistance by clicking HERE.

Announcements