cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G7X Mark III Autofocus Issues!!

Jodanquens
Apprentice

Hi all,

I recently “upgraded” from the G7X mk 2 to the mk 3 and have noticed that the new camera seems to struggle with autofocus when shooting video.

I’m pretty new to digital cameras in general but am using my experience with the mark 2 as a reference. With the mark 2 the autofocus seemed “quicker” and was good enough that it never created problems. Yesterday I took the mark 3 with me to Disneyland to shoot video for my kids YouTube channel and 1/3 of the footage was unusable due to poor autofocus. I ended up having to scrap a lot of great footage because the video was out of focus for an extended period.

I have been unable to find any info online about this issue aside from the BestBuy website which 3 out of 3 reviews mention autofocus being a problem! I’m still within the period to return or exchange the product so I’m hoping someone can chime in with advice.

Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6

mmoshaya
Apprentice

Hi,

I was going to purchase the G7X Mark 3 but I noticed a lot of people complaining about the focus on it. Have you managed to fix it? If there is no fix then I'm thinking of moving to Sony 😞

MRPM
Apprentice

I also just bought it and have the same problem. Now I realize so many talks about it on youtube 😞

Canon... Will there be an update or face recognition program?

GHB
Apprentice

I noticed one of the YouTube reviewers said he called Canon tech support and was told a fix IS coming. But that's all he was told. No date when it will be released.

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Jodanquens,

Thanks for posting.

So we may better assist you, please contact our technical support team. You may reach them by calling 800-OK-CANON (652-2666), Monday - Friday 9:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m. ET, and Saturday 10:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks for replying.  I hope you all issue a fix for this soon.  I have a 30 day window to return this camera and it is not usable in it's current state.  The support agents obviously cannot fix a bug over the phone.

That said, I encourage everyone to call or submit an email to support so they can prioritize this.  It will be an excellent camera when it works someday!

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/email

kimme
Apprentice

I want to return mine, unfortunately, Jessops (camera shop in the U.K) would not allow me to return my camera and said they needed to send it to Canon to be fixed. Really really really disappointed with this camera. I filmed all my vlogs on the G7x Mark ii and was really happy until I dropped it in the ocean. I decided to upgrade to the Mark iii but honestly, it feels like a downgrade. Low light shooting is a 1/10 - my old mark ii use to shoot great in low light and would always have my face in focus. The autofocus on the mark ii is a 0/10 I would return it until canon sort out this issue.

Honestly, I've had so MUCH footage I've been unable to use because of the low light and autofocus on this camera. I have no idea how this camera passed quality control. Buy the mark ii soooo much better, don't waste your money on the mark iii. This issue has affected my work, since buying this camera I've no longer been able to film 3 videos a week unless I'm able to shoot in good lighting.

Great if you live in good sunshine, but if you live in the gloomy U.K then this camera will not be productive for you. 

Announcements