cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G7X Mark II (white dots in low lighting) What gives?

mista808
Contributor

I've had my G7X Mark II for about a year and have BARELY even touched it since purchasing the camera.  Yesterday I decided to start finally using it and I'm noticing white dots that bounce around in the video when I'm in low lighting situations.  I don't even mean in the pitch dark but in rooms that aren't lit up perfectly I still get these white dots.  I was going to upload a video showing you what I mean but I was able to find someone on Youtube that JUST PURCHASED this camera and on his very first video he uploaded using the camera you are able to see the same white dots I'm referring to.  This is enough to make me want to throw the camera off a balcony and just chalk it up as a $700 dollar loss.  🤮

https://youtu.be/O2cLabmC3BY

Watch this video and skip to the 6:39 (6 minute 39 second) marker in his video and pay attention to the bottom portion of his video.  You will see the exact same white dots that I deal with in low lighting situations.  

Could someone please explain why this is happening, what this is?  Is it a defect with my camera?  Is this normal?  If this is normal why?  If this is normal how to fix it and what could I possibly do to avoid these white dots when in low lighting situations?  Of course not every single video I shoot is going to have perfect lighting and I've been seeing this happen even when the lighting in the room isn't THAT bad.  I've had my camera for a year and since I never really had the time to use it very often I never noticed this and therefore of course I can no longer send it back or get my money back.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

In the video you linked to I only see a single white spot. But it's definitely there and dancing around pretty good. Interesting in that it seems to stay pretty well horizontally centered. It looks at first glance like something that would require sending it in for repair. Contact Canon immediately, even if you are slightly beyond your warranty coverage.

But before you do that you might try duplicating the problem under similar shooting conditions, but using different auto-focus settings and image stabilization modes. Or turning the AF and IS off, is possible. It won't actually fix the problem but I'm curious to know if that spot indicates some sort of target for AF, IS or just what it's "hunting" for.

Will do.  So far I've seen it every time I'm in a room that is not lit up properly.  The room doesn't even have to be super dark, but just not well lit in general.  My white dot is not at the bottom like his is but more towards the top center of the videos.

Do you know how to get in touch with Canon?  Is it something I do online or do they have a support phone number?

If you are able to link me with that information I'd really appreciate it.

You might start here for Canon Support options.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/self-help-center/contact-us-by-phone

Hopefully one of the forum administrators will see this post and maybe provide some additional info and a more direct link.

Mostly, I'd be interested to find out if it's actually an indication that some function of the camera (AE, AF, IS, etc.) is working properly, but it's not supposed to be visible on the LCD or the recorded video. Maybe something that the techs can enable to assist in troubleshooting or re-calibration.

"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain." Robot wink

Thank you

Evampire
Apprentice
Did anything come of this?
I have a G7X Mk2 and noticed the same white dot as well when video in low light (namely dark rides at theme parks).
At first I thought it was my camera but also been noticing it on various YouTube vloggers as well who also use the G7X
Announcements