cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G7 X Mark III - Clean HDMI

youngs529
Apprentice

The quality on the EOS webcam utility is terrible (Around 540p).  I bought this camera because canon has a whole page on their site dedicated to cameras with "Clean HDMI" where they name the G7 X Mark III. 

And while you can turn on clean HDMI, the "display off" will turn your HDMI feed off after 3 minutes EVEN IF POWER SAVING IS TURNED OFF making the "Clean HDMI" feature useless unless you're streaming in 3 minute bursts. 

Why was clean HDMI even included if you can't use it for more than 3 minutes?  Does anyone know of a way around this?  Or if Canon is planning on updating the firmware to allow you to turn off the "Display Off" 3 minute timer?

3 REPLIES 3

Canonmatt
Apprentice

Okay thankfully I figured this out.

First upgrade the G7X Mark III to the latest firmware (v1.20 as i write this). You go to Canons site and download the firmware to your memory card (from laptops card reader slot) then stick the memory card into the camera and imitate the update (menu > Settings (the 🔧 icon) tab 6 "Firmware."

Next enable Clean HDMI Out. Menu > Camera tab > subtab #5 > HDMI info disp > set to Clean FHD or 4K

Then plug in your mini-HDMI, connect to your laptop via your Elgato or whatever video converter card, and you're good.

(the camera display will still power off after 3 minutes but the HDMI stays on, thank heavens!)

Took me 2 days of stress and aggravation to figure this out. Hopefully this post can save you going through the same!

good luck

So when I go to the HDMI info disp, I can't do anything. It is greyed out, stuck on 4k. How do I fix this? I had everything working on my youtube/twitch streams and now my device isn't seen despite being plugged in and on.

@Canonmatt wrote:

Okay thankfully I figured this out.

First upgrade the G7X Mark III to the latest firmware (v1.20 as i write this). You go to Canons site and download the firmware to your memory card (from laptops card reader slot) then stick the memory card into the camera and imitate the update (menu > Settings (the 🔧 icon) tab 6 "Firmware."

Next enable Clean HDMI Out. Menu > Camera tab > subtab #5 > HDMI info disp > set to Clean FHD or 4K

Then plug in your mini-HDMI, connect to your laptop via your Elgato or whatever video converter card, and you're good.

(the camera display will still power off after 3 minutes but the HDMI stays on, thank heavens!)

Took me 2 days of stress and aggravation to figure this out. Hopefully this post can save you going through the same!

good luck

you have to make sure hdmi resolution is set to auto (SET UP pg 3) otherwise the hdmi disp option will be greyed out.

Announcements