cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G6 Zoom Knob is stuck!!

photoman17
Contributor

I bought this Canon G6 in 2004. 

it has been a good camera. A few issues i have is that the rubber habd grip is coming off, the LCD swivel screen is loose, even thoiugh the two screws are still very tight, and FINALLY, just yeaterday i was taking photos of my neice at her soccer agme and noticed when trying to use the tele zoom lens, it's stuck in the middle position,and i have to FORCE it to macro or tele. 

I called a local canon repair, and he told me there is nothing i can do to fix it. i then called canon in irvine Ca., and they told me the same thing, it's no longer useful...WHAT?  I paid something like $700.00, with a five year extended warranty, but they told me it can not be fixed.

I googled this topic and found someone saying to get a can of W-D40, spray into a small bowl mand take a eye dropper and carefully put a drop around the knob.  Canon told me the camera is useless.

I also have a cano Program AE-1 with lots of lenses, No one really does film processing around these parts, it's all digital, so I'm hoping if i get a EOS series, that any one of my FD lenses would fit into a T3, or T3i, to save money buying all new lenses.

Has anyone with a G6 experience any of my issues?  Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

smack53
Mentor
WD-40 is not a good idea as it is not a lubricant! WD-40 is a corrosive used to break down rust and such. That will surely destroy the camera's electronics if it gets in there.

Tim
Authority

Hello photoman17,

We can certainly understand the frustration of having your PowerShot G6 run into some issues.  This camera is what's considered out of service life.  We no longer are able to provide repairs to this model. 

We don't honor extended warranties as they are not provided by or supported through Canon.  The camera would have only come with a one year limited warranty from the manufacturer.

We do not recommend using WD-40 in the camera at any point. 

Lenses from the AE-1 will not work with the Digital EOS SLR cameras.  EOS DSLR models like the EOS Rebel Series can use both Canon EF or EF-S lens series. 

You may wish to participate in our Canon Loyalty Program.  This program allows you to replace your current camera with a refurbished Canon digital camera for a discounted fee, plus $10 shipping for Second Business Day delivery.  The refurbished units through this program carry a 90 day warranty.  The original non-functioning camera would then be returned to Canon with a prepaid label that would be provided. 

If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at (800) OK CANON (800-652-2666) seven days a week, 8am to Midnight.  Let them know you have been working with email technical support and the Canon Loyalty Program was offered.  Be sure to have your serial number for your camera at the time of your call.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi and thank you Tim,

I called the Loyalty Program and they told me they extended the warranty for one year...same as the new ones.

I was also told by a local Camera shop that there is a Mount Adapter for using the older FD lenses on the EOS REBEL T3i Bodies. (did not see T4i, orT5i) I googled and found third parties selling them from $9.00 and up. I imagine the results won't come close to the EF Lens, (Manual Focus) but I have about five FD lenses and one Albinar 28mm Wide Angle lens I probably can't give away.

I am somewhat disapointed with all the money I've spent over the years on my AE1, Lenses, G6, and A100, that all I can get back for being a so-called "Loyal" Canon Customer, is only 20% off a refurb, with no additional promo codes.

So now I'm stuck with my not so trusty, broken, useless, non-repairable, expensive G6 Paperweight!

On a refurb, with only a one year warranty, I might not justify buying anymore Canon products in the future, if they are to simply breakdown. I paid much more for my AE1,  than my G6, and my AE1 is 38 years old and still works!

I guess like today's disposable low-priced HDTV's (because they are too expensive to repair) They are making Cameras the same way...imo. Sorry,  I'm so disapointed and frustrated because the G6 is built like a tank, and the only thing preventing me from using it is that darn zoom lever!

C'mon, Nasa can put space shuttles up in space, but Canon can not find a fix for this?  

Announcements