cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G5X - charging via USB cord and a powerbank?

dmrdsm
Contributor

Just purchased a G5X. Did purchase an extra battery because of the reviews I read on battery life.  

Setting everything up, taking a few shots and reading the manual.  It mentions the optional USB cord and the ability to connect it to the computer directly to charge and not having to use the optional power adapter or using the optional USB and the optional power adapter to plug into the wall.   No mention is made regarding plugging it via USB in to a powerbank.  I have a RAVPOWER bank which I use to charge my Galaxy 6 and my iPad on occasion.  The specs are:

capacity, 16770mah/61.9wh, input dcsv/2a, output dc5v/4.5a, max total.  

Searched powerbank and power bank on the forum, but didn't come up with anything, so thought I would ask if one one uses powerbanks to charge up and if it works okay or not.

Thank you.

Powershot GX5, Pixma-100, Nikon D-300 and D-90
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

John_
Authority

The battery in your camera is only a 1250 mah 4,5wh battery your powerbank should do the job nicely !!

The camera will draw only the power it needs to charge from the powerbank regarless of the powerbanks capacity,

I use powerbanks also for various devices all of which are a fraction of the powerbanks capacity

View solution in original post

smack53
Mentor

According to the Canon website the Battery Model: NB-13L for the G5x has a Battery Capacity: 1250mAh and a Battery Voltage: 3.6V.  Your Powerbank is too high a voltage to be used on the G5x battery and could cause problems if you do try recharging the batteries with it.

Steve M.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

John_
Authority

The battery in your camera is only a 1250 mah 4,5wh battery your powerbank should do the job nicely !!

The camera will draw only the power it needs to charge from the powerbank regarless of the powerbanks capacity,

I use powerbanks also for various devices all of which are a fraction of the powerbanks capacity

smack53
Mentor

According to the Canon website the Battery Model: NB-13L for the G5x has a Battery Capacity: 1250mAh and a Battery Voltage: 3.6V.  Your Powerbank is too high a voltage to be used on the G5x battery and could cause problems if you do try recharging the batteries with it.

Steve M.

Not if the powerbank has a USB outlet. The are well regulated to 5 V.

Yes, the power bank has a USB outlet.

Thank you.

Powershot GX5, Pixma-100, Nikon D-300 and D-90

rondtroy
Contributor
I've charged mine with a micro USB cord - same one I transfer photos with. As far as I remember you can charge it in the car or elsewhere via the cord.
Announcements