cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G16 battery drain recording video

Canewbie
Apprentice

I just purchased my G16 a week ago and it is still on it's first charge. The batterry level would show full charge when shooting stills but when I would record video the battery indicator would start flashing red with 1 bar within a minute of recording. I would turn off the camera and back on and would have full battery again. Canon had me do a complete power reset and it did not help. I am thinking this is a firmware issue. Any ideas? Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

smack53
Mentor

You don't mention if you fully charged the battery when you first got the camera or for how long you've been using the camera on the first charge. I would run the camera until the battery is dead, then charge the battery fully to see if that helps at all. I had a camera with a demo battery that came with the camera, which never had the full capacity to last more than a few dozen photos, so check to see that the battery is the right model number, and not a demo battery. If so, then you may just need a new battery of the right model number. If nothing changes, then check if there are any firmware updates on the Canon website to see if there are any firmware updates at http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras/powershot_g16#DriversAndSoft...

Hi,

yes I fully charged the battery before first use and I used it for about 50 stills and 5 short videos, but I did do alot of tinkering with settings and looking at pictures. It was probably drained by 60%, thats why I was wondering why the battery was still showing full charge. Probably on the fourth or fifth day went to take shots and got only about 10 stills in and started to shoot video and that is when I had the issue. Battery is a NB-10L regular battery.  Thanks for the reply!

Yes batteries can be dead on arrival too, its not unheard of. Since you just got the camera exhaust all your options to eliminate the camera. Have you tried charging it in the camera too as well as the stand alone charger? Just to eliminate the charger as the problem. The fastest way would be to purchase another battery and try that and see. Those batteries are not very expensve and for this problem and warranty purposes I would suggest a Canon OEM battery. It's not like an extra battery will not come in handy in the future. Then if the new battery does not cure the problem or charging it in the camera/stand alone charger does not fix the problem then a trip back to where you bought it or contact where you bought it or call to Canon would be my next step.

John, I'm not so sure you can charge the batteries of the G16 in camera. It does not work with my G12, and is not listed as an option in the manuals.

Ah Ok smack I just assummed it could be charged in the camera without checking the manual myself. So strike that one as a way to narrow the problem down, and thank you !

Your right I looked and the AC adapter looks the same as the one for the Sx50HS which is cumbersome and just replaces the battery itself inside the camera :

Capture2.JPG

After charging the battery a second time, I still had problems with the camera showing the proper battery level.

I know the battery had power, but the camera just seemed to have communication issues with the battery.

I returned the camera for a second one and this one seems to be okay for now.

Thanks for the help.

Glad you resolved it with an exchange. As added protection beyond the standard warranty I always purchase extended warrantys with accidental damage..my favorite place is Square Trade. I've used them for years and when I spilled a soda on my $800 laptop they took care of me with a complete refund and returned my hard drive so I had all my stuff still. I must have 6 plans now with them...just some added advice becuase things do and will happen.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements