cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G16 Wifi Feature

visule
Apprentice

Hello,

I purchased the Canon G16 for the WIFI feature (plus its big upgrade from the old powershot). I was under the impression I could send pics straight from the camera to Phanfare (my cloud based photo storage service).  The current way to transfers jpg files is to take out the SD card and put into the PC. Select files and save them to a temp folder. Then copy paste into the open phanfare album web page.  then delete the temp files, and delete the pics on the camera. Finally put SD card back in camera.  so does this G16 wifi feature help make this easier?  I asked Phanfare support (carbonite) and they say WiFi does nothing to help tranfer files!  Is that right?

this is Phanfare support’s  answer below:

2015-01-19 08:34:41 EST Robert H. - Boston, MA Additional comments

Hello Michael ,

Thank you for your response.

To the best of our knowledge, there is no way to load them directly from the camera to the site directly. You would have to move them to your computer and then upload them from there.

Please let us know if you need additional assistance.

If we do not hear back from you in a few days, we will send a follow up email. We will leave your case open until further notice. If your issue is resolved, please respond to this e-mail with the word "Resolved."

Sincerely,

Robert H

Phanfare Customer Care

www.phanfare.com

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Skirball
Authority

Yes, that seems logical.  I've never used a G16, but my 6D has Wifi.  It doesn't, however, have a web browser or apps like a smartphone.  It can only communicate with EOS Utilities on my computer, or the smartphone app.  So you'd have to transfer the files to one of those devices, and then upload them to you photo site.

I'd guess that we're still a ways off on having your camera connect directly to the web for uploads (outside of smartphone cameras of course).  I could see Canon introducing a cloud service backup, because they could generate money through it.  But spending the time programing in apps to connect to other cloud services - less likely. 

I think you'll also find that the time it takes to move a single file from your camera to your computer is frustratingly long.  If you have a card full of photos you'll probably just pull it out and stick it in a card reader like most of us do.

Sorry, I know the marketing vision of camera WiFi is pretty terrific, but in real world use it far more limited.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Skirball
Authority

Yes, that seems logical.  I've never used a G16, but my 6D has Wifi.  It doesn't, however, have a web browser or apps like a smartphone.  It can only communicate with EOS Utilities on my computer, or the smartphone app.  So you'd have to transfer the files to one of those devices, and then upload them to you photo site.

I'd guess that we're still a ways off on having your camera connect directly to the web for uploads (outside of smartphone cameras of course).  I could see Canon introducing a cloud service backup, because they could generate money through it.  But spending the time programing in apps to connect to other cloud services - less likely. 

I think you'll also find that the time it takes to move a single file from your camera to your computer is frustratingly long.  If you have a card full of photos you'll probably just pull it out and stick it in a card reader like most of us do.

Sorry, I know the marketing vision of camera WiFi is pretty terrific, but in real world use it far more limited.

thank you for the answer.  You cleared up the foggy marketing.

John_
Authority

You are able to send images directly to a web service using wifi. Look at your user manual beginning on page 126 to see how it is done. It is laid out pretty clearly there

I don't believe Phanfare is one of them.

http://kbsupport.cusa.canon.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1011&PARTITION_ID=1&secu...

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I stand corrected, I didn't know they already added the big social networks. 

Announcements