cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G16 Wi-Fi Issue ..."searching" endlessly!

tuk
Contributor

I was so excited to receive this camera, but the Wi-Fi issues have spoilt the party a little.

As unlikley as it seems, I'm starting to think the Wi-Fi on this new G16 is somehow defective.

Following the instructions in the manual to set up the Wifi:

G16 shows my router in the list, but when attempting to connect to router it says "completing" then goes to "searching" where it churns away for 5-10 mins until it fails.

Have reset the router back to factory settings and disabled all the security...no keys or pins etc to give the G16 every chance to connect but still the same "completing" then goes to "searching" where it churns away until it fails.

The router shows the G16 as connected.

Any ideas?

8 REPLIES 8

John_
Authority

What brand/model router do you have? Does it have WPS and if so have you tried connecting that way?

Have you trried connecting directly to a printer or smartphone ?

I think there are connection modes on the G16 be sure its not in acess mode to make the connection to a router.

Just curious is it a Windows or Apple comp?

One last thing are you trying it with a memory card with images on it ?

I've been in your shoes with similar problems connecting thru a router...hang in there !

John

What brand/model router do you have? 

http://www.trustedreviews.com/sky-hub-2013_Peripheral_review

Does it have WPS and if so have you tried connecting that way?

It does have WPS, but I disabled all handshaking security to rule out any issues to give the G16 every chance to make the connection.

Have you tried connecting directly to a printer or smartphone ?

Unfortunatley, I don't have either to rule out the router.

I think there are connection modes on the G16 be sure its not in acess mode to make the connection to a router.

How do I check this?

Just curious is it a Windows or Apple comp?

Win7x64

One last thing are you trying it with a memory card with images on it ?

Yes.

---------------------------------------------

Bit more info:

1. Turn computer on.

2. Download G16 wifi software from G16 Canon website and install it on your computer.

3. Turn camera on with picture review button.

4. When pictures show on camera screen press wifi button on camera.

5. Choose computer name and icon or phone, iPad or whichever one you're trying to download to.

6. Canon software should automatically come up on computer screen and you can begin downloading.

Starting from factory settings I can complete steps 1 - 5:

It then asks: PBC or PIN Method.

I choose PBC, then 'hold the access point button' on router as directed, then click "Next" on Cam as directed.

It says "connecting" & shows my router for 1-2 secs then starts "searching" endlessly until it fails.

However, router says g16 is connected & I can see IP and mac address.

If I start CameraWindow it says" Cannot detect camera, check connection".

2nd attempt(not factory settings):

It starts "searching" for 1-2 secs then shows my router for 1-2 secs then goes back to "searching" endlessly until it fails.

If I start CameraWindow it says" Cannot detect camera, check connection".

tuk
Contributor

Short version of wi-fi sequence:

Router: G16 Unconnected!

G16 Menu:

• Add a device
  • Select router.
  • Router name appears + "connecting" for 1-2 secs, then screen changes to just "Searching" ...until fail.

Router: G16 Connected!

CameraWindow: "Cannot detect camera. Check connection to camera, then retry."

tuk
Contributor

Ok, I now have:

2x new Canon G16

2x different brand routers.

But the same problem persists regardless of what combination of G16 and router is used.

Hi tuk!

Welcome to the Canon Forum, and thank you for your inquiry!

We appreciate your participation, however we need to let you know that the Canon Forum is hosted and moderated within the United States by Canon USA. We are only able to provide support for Canon products manufactured for and used within the US market.

If you live outside the United States, please visit http://www.canon.com and select your country or region for your support needs.

Feel free to discuss Canon products sold outside of the United States, but please be aware that you will not receive support directly from Canon USA.

That kind of narrows it down to your computer, What version of W7 are you using?

Capture.JPG

Thanks John!: Win7 x64

Ponderings:

Does the Camera require something from the PC in order to complete wi-fi handshaking?

I would have thought this transaction would happen at hardware/low level, so:

1)Establish wi-fi link between camera and router

Then

2)Do other stuff which involves the PC talking to the Camera.

Is it possible to complete wi-fi handshaking if the router is disconnected from PC ?

You should have had 2 options when you ran the software to connect the camera with or without the USB cable. Have you tried both ways?

As far as I know you can only connect to a printer or smartphone without going through a router.

You have to confirm the computer is connected to the router which you have done.

You have to give the camera a nickname to connect to the computer and access the wifi menu on the camera.

Im just trying to think of things you may have missed

Announcements